Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Divorice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Divorice
Member # 11096

Icon 8 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom just told my dad that she hated him She started screaming at him and stuff and I and my bro started crying.I'm scared they're gonna split up!Do you know of any support sites?Can you help me?
Posts: 95 | From: Somewhere USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leClowne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This article might be of some help:
Or you can check your local listings for a teen-oriented support group.

First of all, it's okay to be scared. My parents divorced when I was much younger, so I can imagine that this is impacting you much harder than it did me. Remember that nothing has happened beyond your present situation. Things may get worse or they may get better. It depends on the people (your parents) involved and the situation that has occured. However, it is always traumatic for children to see or hear their parents fighting, and there is nothing wrong with this upsetting you.

Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can really *do* - the situation will change over time on its own. The best thing you can do is take care of yourself and express your feelings (if you have another adult you can talk to comfortably, possibly a family member, friend or professional counsellor, I suggest you contact that person when you need to vent. There's no harm in venting, and it will relieve a lot of the pressure that builds up from stress :3). If at any time you feel a certain way about your parents that you think is wrong to feel, it's OKAY. You have a right to your emotions, and if you are angry, afraid, or resentful, it is not your fault for feeling that way. Talking to someone you trust, such as a close friend, is okay too. There is nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to your parents having trouble. All couples do, just some more than others.

I encourage you to continue to seek support on this site and other resources as well. And no matter what happens, trust that life will work itself out. You will be okay. :3

Posts: 13 | From: crazy LA, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for britt0285     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents were divorced when I was in fifth grade. It was really hard for me then because I went to a really small high school and not many other people had parents that were divorced so there was pretty much no one to be able to relate to.
There was lots of fighting and my mom and my dad being depressed. So I had to learn to grow up fast and take care of myself. I got left at school a few time because they would not communicate with each other to make sure I had a ride from school.
It has made my brother and I really close because no matter where we are or which parents house we are at we are always together. So you always have your brother if you need someone to talk to.
They have been divorced for about hmm 7 years now or something like that. They get along really well now. My brother was diagnosed with cancer about 2 and 1/2 years ago, and it really brought my family close together. Now we are all together for the holidays and everything. I mean it is sad that it took something like that to make everyone get along, but i am glad that something good came out of something bad.
You should talk to your parents and let them know how it is making you feel. I am sure that they will think about what they are doing to you when they fight in front of you if you tell them how much it hurts you. Good Luck.

Posts: 87 | From: TX | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11096

Icon 8 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys
Posts: 95 | From: Somewhere USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.