Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » My home is a prison

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My home is a prison
jay99
Neophyte
Member # 6593

Icon 8 posted      Profile for jay99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may seem a bit strange but I am 21 years of age and I still have to ask my parents if i can leave the house to go somewhere. I was only allowed to leave the house when I was 20, any time before then if I asked to leave I was cursed out by my father and fussed at.

I am beganing to realize that I am far too old to still be treated like a child. But I am still afraid to stand up for myself and I dont know what to do. I want them to treat me like a 21 year old and not a 12 year old.

[This message has been edited by jay99 (edited 12-31-2002).]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~*SnUgGleBuG*~
Neophyte
Member # 10837

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ~*SnUgGleBuG*~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be rude or anything but have you considered moving out??
Your an adult now so being 21 means legal age ANYWHERE!.....if your parents are still giving you a hard time about things like "leaving the house"for instance....maybe they are a little over protective. Maybe it's time you sit down with them and have an adult talk about what your status is. Make some guide lines but to have your parents still control you at 21 is a lil ridiculous. Maybe moving out on your own or standing up for yourself would be your best bet! good luck

p.s if things don't work out seeking a counsellor would help!

------------------
Patience is a virtue

Posts: 19 | From: SoMeWhErE!:P | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, the last poster had the imperative point: the easy answer -- and likely the best one -- is to move out on your own.

If that isn't possible yet, are you at least paying rent? In other words, if you're taking no responsibilities, it's not all that surprising you're being treated the way that you are.

Thing is, people can't just walk out of prisons, and they aren't kept in them by choice. Thus, if your home is a prison, sounds like it's one of your own design.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, buddy, I feel the same way- I know 10 year olds who have more freedom than I do. And I've been spoiled my whole life and through most of my teen years I kinda saw it as a trade off- they'll take care of me, pay for my stuff, do my laundry, and all I have to do is abide by their rules.

Well now I'm 17 and I absolutely can't stand it, but I've had enough time to realize it's about time to do something about it. I only make about $4,000 a year but I'm still in high school and next year I'm out.

Now, I understand that 21 is an age where you can still be struggling with college, and you might REALLY rely on them to let you live with them. But try taking a stand once in a while- the WORST they can do is kick you out.

I'm also sort of wondering if there isn't more to this- like a deep emotional problem at hand. I'm really not trying to put you down, but I think at 21 you should have the problem solving skills to deal with this kind of problem. So what's really up?

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.