Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » obsessed with my weight

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: obsessed with my weight
slicker_than_ur_average
Neophyte
Member # 11106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slicker_than_ur_average     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm not fat or overweight but for about 3 years i have been obsessed with what i weigh. i can now not eat without thinkin about it an feelin bad. i don't have an actaul problem because it doesnt make me depressed or anything.
i kno i am a very attractive person but it doesnt stop me thinkin about it. i'd realy like 2 stop.
i hav recently started making my self sick occasionaly which i know i shouldn't but i would in no way consider myself bulumic.
i'd jus like 2 find some easy way to keep the weight off and this has actually worked but dont try it because most people would become to obsessed with it aND ITS very unhealthy. i used 2 exercise everyday but now i hav cut down a lot due to education andsocial life. if anyone else is in a similar situation or jus like 2 chat i'd be grateful. im not askin for advice on a problem cos im quite ok.

Posts: 14 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if you're obsessing about your weight and can't stop, feeling bad about eating, and making yourself sick (even occasionally), you do have an "actual problem".

Having an eating disorder doesn't make you "bad" or "sick" or anything else, but telling yourself that there isn't a problem isn't going to help.

And neither is finding "some easy way to keep the weight off" when you don't need to lose weight. As you say yourself, it's unhealthy and just increases obsession.

Why not check out the eating disorders thread for some support instead?

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000001.html .

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slicker_than_ur_average
Neophyte
Member # 11106

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slicker_than_ur_average     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont have an actaul problem, my mum knows and stuff i dont do it all the time not like everyday or anything. i jus worry about what i eat a lot thats all init!
Posts: 14 | From: uk | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might then want to think about how you define "actual problem."

Because from this side of the fence, looking at the whole of your posts, honey, you do seem to be very fixated on these issues to the exclusion of other things. You have also claimed being unable to control some of these behaviours.

Those two things alone are, generally, the definition of having a problem. And Making oneself vomit, however regularly or irregularly, when you're fixated on your weight and for that purpose IS bulemic behaviour or at least borderline, and thus, very worthy of looking into correcting.

The DSM-IV, a tool and reference used by psychologists to idenitify disorders or pproblematic behaviours says this: http://www.eating.ucdavis.edu/eatdis/bulimia/bulim_char/buldsm.html

Might want to have a look. You might also want to bear in mind that a usualy charactertistic of having this sort of problem is to discuss it a lot, yet continually state it isn't a problem, in the vein of Shakespeare's "Methinks the lady doth protest too much."

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dramacrazed
Neophyte
Member # 11232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dramacrazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i obsess about my weight also. i feel like im overwieght but everyone tells me im not ad that i shouldnt worry. well i do and it gets me really depressed bc i hang with some skinny girls i just feel so bothered about it. i hate it. the other problem is im very chesty and alot and i mean alot of my friends are not and it hurts me bc i really want to wear some outfits but i cant because i would look like a hooker or playboy bunny. its harsh and i just wish i could just go to a doctor. but im young so that is not an option.

------------------
minnie

Posts: 12 | From: Orlando, FL, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tooDeadtoDie
Neophyte
Member # 11269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tooDeadtoDie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you should watch out for that whole bulemia thing because the acids in your stomach really wear away at you teeth..just another reason not to do it really but since i know you dont want to hear guidance ill say one thing: at least brush your teeth afterwards

------------------
I HAVE HEAD-EXPLODY!
-Johnny C.

Posts: 4 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.