Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » My great social life!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My great social life!
shining eyes
Member # 8741

Icon 13 posted      Profile for shining eyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is going to sound rather stupid, but I really have this problem. I avoid any type of social event at all costs. Over the past, as far back as I can remember, I've been very shy around people I don't personally know. I have also had a history of bad depression. I can't even read a few sentences in front of my class without getting short of breathe and getting really hot, like my face is on fire. When I have to give a speech the anxiety just builds up and the night before is hell, I just can't sleep, and when the time comes to give the speech I shake and my legs feel like noodles and my hands can't even hold note cards I'm so shocked, most the time I even cry after I give a two minute speech. I just feel like everybody is watching me and as soon as I make a mistake everybody will laugh at me. Seriously, it's starting to get even worse than in just the class room. I have been invited to many parties (well, maybe four) over the past year. And I just can't make myself go--something embarrassing might happen.

And as an example of what happens.... One time we had to give this speech that we had been working on all year. It was the biggest grade on our report card and when it was my turn I got up there and just stood, I couldn't speak and my heart started beating really fast to the point I was gasping for air. It was really scary. I had to be taken out in the hall away from everybody else my teacher sent me home because she thought I was sick. Sorry if this is stupid.

Well, on the first day of school this year, my teacher said we were going to have to sing a song (some point of time this year) in front of the class, and I don't even know what to say to that! Sorry for rambling on... but I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

Thanks for reading this long boring post.

[This message has been edited by shining eyes because she can't spell or type (edited 12-02-2002).]

[This message has been edited by shining eyes (edited 12-02-2002).]

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not a clinician of any kind, but the symptoms you describe sound rather like social phobia, which is a type of anxiety disorder. Anxiety and anxiety-related symptoms can sometimes go along with depression, and there's nothing "stupid" about experiencing them.

However, you need to talk to a qualified therapist or doctor to find out what's up, and get the right support and treatment.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10927

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Renae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing stupid about that. You do sound like someone describing a social phobia. You should go to your school counselor (or just a parent) and ask for help with it.
Posts: 5 | From: Alabama | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerkiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has a little to do with confidence girl! have a little confidence in yourself cos everyone is beautiful.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11078

Icon 7 posted      Profile for roziline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with what everyones posted so far:

1. it's not stupid
2. You really should try talking to someone
(although that might seem hard it cud really help)
3. confidence problem

what you need to do is realise that you and everybody else around you cannot be perfect. I had a similar problem in that i'm over weight and withing the first year of starting a new school i had to perform with my guitar and singing. I was nervous as heck but i did it (although they dragged me on stage) by knowing that i had friends out there. If anything it's about talking to people and communicating so that people understand. You're not the only one who feels this was i promise you.

talk to someone yeah?

rosie - the girl dreams are made of =)

Posts: 68 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11331

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ScorpioGoddess31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly how you feel! I have the same phobias as you do! I get really scared just to meet people. If I know I am going to have to be introduced to people I do not already know I will do anything to get myself out of that situation. I have a very hard time initiating conversations with people and I absolutely do NOT go to parties. So I totally understand where you are coming from. I hope things get better for you!
Posts: 2 | From: Pasadena, Texas, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.