Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Feeling so alone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling so alone
slayerette
Neophyte
Member # 10756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slayerette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just moved to DC this year from Europe - and I im so unhappy it hurts. I miss my home like crazy. I also have a depression problem - and not long ago I almost committed suicide. Ever felt so lost that you don't think you'll ever find yourself again? I feel like that. I hurt so much... how can I live with this? It's already been a couple of months and I have tried so hard to fit in. I just dont know what to do anymore...
Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often, it takes a lot longer than a couple months to get settled in somewhere nnew. I know that's not exactly a huge comfort, but it is often the case.

In terms of the depression, a smart thing to do that could also help provide some of the support you're seeking is to seek out a counselor/therapist in your new city, or a support group that's live and in town.

Some organizations in your area that might be of helpp:
http://www.ymcawashdc.org/health/familyServices.htm
http://www.dccare.org/spsby.htm
http://www.youngwomensproject.org/

You might also ask the guidance counselor at your school for more resources if you need them.

Otherwise, see if you can't give it a little more time. If finding friends or a peer group is just not working yet, seeking out other venues to find that in like volunteer jobs (which, btw, are great for taking your mind off of your own stuff for a while) is an option as well.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duckling
Neophyte
Member # 9531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duckling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lived in the same town my whole life, and sometimes I feel alone and depressed. The best thing to do is to do something that makes you feel better (something healthy, like exercise or listening to music). Consider talking to a therapist. It sounds trite, but it helped me a lot. Explore DC! There's tons of stuff to do, and you'll find places that you love that no one else knows about...make your home wherever you go, and make the most of it.
Posts: 36 | From: US of A | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, I can't stand DC, either. This town is depressing in and of itself...

Have you been through the Smithsonian yet? The air and space museum is interesting, and the art gallery is fascinating. (Except that horrible modern art place.)

Have you been to Occoquan or Fredericksburg yet? Old Town Alexandria or Georgetown? Some interesting stuff there.

There are a couple of ok band venues, if you're into that. I haven't found any Musica of the Diabolus variety, however... (I'm assuming you're a Slayer fan. )

I guess what I'm trying to say is: find stuff you enjoy. Meet people. Set up a new life.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.