Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I am..but how bad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am..but how bad?
Lilfran14
Activist
Member # 6858

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Lilfran14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well im at 17 year old senior at my high school. I really dont know whats wrong with me at times. I do feel very very deeply depressed but other times im on top of the world. It comes and goes and so quickly to.

The other day in the morning i was fine, then i started to take a test at the end of 1st period and i just had serious thought of killing myself, like it came out of no where. i hated myself and didnt want anyone to talk to me, but then 3 period later i was jumping around cracking jokes. I thought i had my problem under control, but i didnt and i dont. I even started to punch glass just to feel the pain and cut myself to see the blood.

i know i seem like a really sick and twisted person but on the outside i keep my cool and try my best to make a good impression. NO one really knows about my problem, i dont tell anyone not even my mom. I dont know if there is anything wrong with me or if its all in my head. Like right now i dont wanna hurt myself but give me 20 minutes im gonna wanna jump out of a 12 story building.

I know ur all gonna say u need help go to counseling but ive gone to soo many different counselors and they all annoy the heck out of me after a few times and i have to switch and then i have to explain my story all over again and its getting old and boring and i dont wanna do it. but i do if itll help me, im prolly sounding really confusing but if someone could help me out and give me some advice or tell me what could possible be wrong with me if nething i would appreciate it!

------------------
~*Katie Frances*~

Why is it that in the
land of the free, home
of the brave, why is it
that i still feel like a
slave.?"

Life is too short..Live it well and with the people you care about.. Don't ever let your work become your life... Go out there and live a little before its too late** Dr. Greene ER

Posts: 183 | From: Buffalo, NY :) | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thisonecanbe
Activist
Member # 10445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thisonecanbe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me first tell you this: you aren't weird or twisted. TRUST ME.

Have you actually been to a psychiatrist or a doctor who could diagnose you to what the problem may be? Being as this is Scarleteen, I can't say what it is that you have, but it sounds like Bipolar disorder. (AKA - Manic Depression.) It's when you have sudden mood swings of deep depression or high happiness.
If you'd like more info on the disorder, please visit the following websites:
http://bipolar.about.com/mbody.htm
http://www.mhsanctuary.com/bipolar/
http://www.bipolarhome.org/

Please, please go to a doctor/psychiatrist and get diagnosed and find out if this is, indeed, what you have. You may just be having a rough time right now. You do need to seek help.

------------------
...i've done all i can do; could i please come with you?

Posts: 63 | From: nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I would encourage you not to diagnose yourself. While I think the internet is a great resource and a fabulous place to find information, one of the worst things you can possibly do is decide on your own that your symptoms fit a particular diagnosis. That decision has a tendancy to make people totally unwilling to accept the idea that it might be something else. This tends to be even more true in terms of possible psychiatric disorders. You just might be doing more harm than good. That's why here at ST we prefer not to suggest diagnoses for psych disorders especially. We'd much rather point you toward a doctor or counselor to allow someone truly qualified to make that call.

Without seeming to minimize your problem, sometimes teens are moody (as Gumdrop Girl said in a previous post that I can't seem to find so I can link it in right now). This can be even more true when you're in a stressful period like the end of high school. You're trying to finish school, and figure out what you're doing with your life, and all that sort of stuff. Mood swings and depression can be pretty common during these periods.

Now that's not to say that you can't do anything about it. I would encourage you to speak to a counselor. Sometimes it does take a while to find a counselor who fits you. Sometimes you do have to try a few different people before you find somebody who "clicks" with you. But if you're finding yourself going through many many conselors and not finding one who fits, then I'd encourage you to look at why exactly it is that they "annoy" you. What are you expecting from them? They aren't there to "fix" you. All they can do is help you to work on the things you feel you need to work on...but the bottom line is that you have to be open and willing to do the work.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

[This message has been edited by KittenGoddess (edited 11-17-2002).]

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000479.html

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kandie
Activist
Member # 7542

Icon 4 posted      Profile for kandie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been excatly where your at!!
With me one min I would be happy the next I would be rageing mad and the next ready to die.
I also know how you feel about being annoyed with consellors! I had that problem all the time. Keep trying thou when you find the right one you'll be on the road to a new start! like the other's sed it does sound like you may have bipolar( that is what I have) if your unfamiliar what it is..it's a chemical inbalance in your brain and your serotin levels are un balanced ...they kinda go up and down and differ day to day!that is what makes your emotion's run wild.
The way you are feeling might just be teenage adolesence (yeah eh)...things will eventually come togther though I promise try taking some time to yourself that always helps to! talk to some of your friends aswell there input is just as important as a counsellor! If you are thinking about suicide though I would get help ASAP! good luck hunnie

------------------
~*KaNdIe*~:)

Posts: 79 | From: CaNaDa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilfran14
Activist
Member # 6858

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilfran14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say thankyou for those who replied. It ment alot

------------------
~*Katie Frances*~

Why is it that in the
land of the free, home
of the brave, why is it
that i still feel like a
slave.?"

Life is too short..Live it well and with the people you care about.. Don't ever let your work become your life... Go out there and live a little before its too late** Dr. Greene ER

Posts: 183 | From: Buffalo, NY :) | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.