Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » My priest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My priest
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tigress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you have probably heard, Catholic priests don't exactly have the best reputation. I go to a Catholic school, and I was born and raised Catholic, so hearing about some things that have happened are a little bit saddening to me. Today at school, our principal came around to every classroom and told us that the priest at the church I go to and that is involved with our school and the kids at my school who everyone trusted has been accused of an inapropriate sexual relation with a child of our church. I was SHOCKED. Everyone was. It was so horrible, I can't even describe the feelings we were all having. All the trust that was lost, such a horrible thing for such a close tight community to go through. The local news channels were at my school after it had ended trying to interview kids. We were all told not to say anything to them and just tell them to go to the office. I'm so upset though, I thought we could all trust my priest. This isn't going to just go away very easily, and a whole lot of things are going to change around school and my church. I don't really know what I'm asking for by posting this, I just need to talk to someone besides my friends about it because we're all very upset and shocked...

-tigress

Posts: 119 | From: SoRoa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tigress, it sounds like your faith has been shaken. The Catholic Church has weathered scandals for hundreds of years, and imho, it'll pull through this one, too.

If it means anything to you, i think having faith (in a deity, in yourself, in anything) is very important. As much as we wish they were, clergymen aren't perfect. But it's important to emphasize that they're not all corrupted. And even some of those who are accused of misconduct may not necessarily be guilty (innocent till proven guilty, right?). Which is not to say that those who really perpetrated any criminal offenses should be let off with 40 lashes with a wet noodle because they are clergy, but you catch my drift.

Hang on to faith and what you believe is right. Get a support group together and pray if that helps. And emphasize what is important to you spiritually. After all, you can still be a good and believing Catholic without all of the ceremony as long as your heart is in the right place, right? Have you talked to you parents about what's going on, esp with the church and where you stand right now?

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tigress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice, I'm still holding strong to my faith. I've talked to my mom about it, and she's been crying for awhile. Everyone loved my priest but now its all over tv saying (in the news guy's exact words) "How can you trust a man like this with your own children from now on?" My priest has only been accused--and you're right "innocent until proven guilty." Father is not a bad guy, I'm so upset about the news people though. This will take a good long time to get over I'm guessing...
Posts: 119 | From: SoRoa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Gummy said, just have faith. Don't assume the worst; you'll pull through this.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mingo
Activist
Member # 7667

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mingo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other thing I think may be important to remember, sometimes people are falsely accused. You didn't say that this preist had ever been inappropriate with or around you. Sadly it is possible that somebody may be fishing for a cash award at the expense of truth. There's no way to know for sure. We have to trust the legal system, and even that is not always right. Even sadder in things like this is that even if the father is found innocent, that never makes as big a news as the accusation. I'd say now is a time the father and his accuser could both use some prayers.

------------------
We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out

[This message has been edited by mingo (edited 08-30-2002).]

Posts: 126 | From: Ferndale, Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlight23
Activist
Member # 9388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starlight23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
tigress,

although i'm not catholic, and can't remember the last time i went to church anyway, i kinda understand what you're feeling.

I go to a catholic school, and this fall will be my 4th year there. around...january i think it was, when all the stuff with the priests started going down it was annouced at one of our masses that one of the brothers from our school had been accused as well.

Now, this was a huge shock to everyone, b/c we all loved this guy. He was great. He worked the copy machine and stuff, and he was basically just a nice and fun guy to be around. It was scary, we all trusted him.

This is the part that really sucked...we also trust our school. And when he has left earlier that year, we were all told that he went to Rhode Island to teach. Our nice honest trustworthy Catholic school straight out LIED to us. So not only were we disturbed that one of the brothers we trusted maybe wasn't who we thought he was...the people that we trusted everyday lied to us as well. We're all convinced the only reason they even told us AT ALL was because the press got hold of the story. It had been in the paper that morning, so they HAD to address it in some way.

It's all very complicated now...with accustations of the school knowing about it all along and continueing to let him work there...and the school is being sued and all sorts of fun stuff like that.

I kind of find it all a little unnessecary and think maybe not everything that has been going on is for real. It seems too much like the witch trials...seems like people are filled with accusations they just didn't know they had until someone stepped up and started it. not to discredit anyone, for all i know it could be real. im sure some of it is. and its awful.

But as my b/fs older brother said, people make mistakes, it happens. and most of these cases are 20 years old. people change as well, the men being accused aren't the same as they were 20 years ago.

It's all very complicated and disturbing and I dont think we'll ever really know who's lieing and who's telling the truth.

------------------
*Live life to the fullest... think of all the people on the Titanic who passed up chocolate dessert.*

*Star*Light*

Posts: 122 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.