Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Counsellor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Counsellor
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 10 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone, I just wanted to write that I got to go see a counsellor today (finally!).

It was really good to talk to an adult about everything, and she would just listen, and no critisize, and I can't even get in trouble for the stuff I tell her because it's totally confidential.

I was really surprised on how much it helped me, and it made me feel alot better getting everything off my chest.

I reccommend to anyone who has a drug problem, or a cutting problem, or any problems to seek a counsellor, because some of them really are amazing.

I'm actually happy that I'm going back again on Monday.

ahh, I'm just happy I'm getting help =]

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup! For some reason I look forward to my appointments at the counseler's office because they have a way of making you feel a lot better and giving you advice on what the right thing to do is.

So yes, I encourage everyone who has a problem to seek a counseler!!!

------------------
God Bless Texas

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you."
-- Winnie The Pooh

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*discord* Sorry if this is an overly negative viewpoint, but... I used to go to a counselor for anger management problems. All was fine. Then a year or so later, I went to see her again, and she was more judgmental than she should have been. The first visit was fine, but after that I went home more depressed than I had been two hours earlier. She had disagreed from an adults-vs.-teens point of view, making me feel like an irresponsible person for kissing someone I liked. Guilt doesn't do much for someone who's already severely depressed.

To get to the point, seeing a counselor (at least in my case) is only a good idea if they don't make you feel guilty about your life.

------------------
"And if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence" --Pop Will Eat Itself - Ich Bin Ein Auslander

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi celery

i'm so glad to hear you had a good experience seeing a counselor. i'm going to find one myself as soon as i get back to school on monday. i've been depressed for awhile but it got really bad these past few weeks so i finally decided to take action and get help. my doctor gave me some medication but i also realized that just talking out all the stuff going on in my head made me feel so much better so i think i would benefit greatly from seeing a counselor.

of course, i'm a little hesitant that i might get someone who doesn't mesh well with me. but i know that it can't hurt to try and if one person doesn't work, i can try another.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad you went and it is working for you!

Hopefully people who need to go to one but are scared, might change their mind after reading your post.

I'm really happy for you!

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To get to the point, seeing a counselor (at least in my case) is only a good idea if they don't make you feel guilty about your life.

That's very true, I'm sorry your counsellor wasn't as good as he/she should have been.

Counsellors aren't supposed to be judgemental at all, they should just be there to listen and try to help, but if they are being judgemental, or are being rude or something, you should consider finding a different counsellor.

The reason why I feel counsellors are so good is because they aren't like a teacher, or a parent because you can't get 'in trouble' if you confess that you are doing something 'wrong' ie drugs or something... they are there just to try and guide you into the right path, I'm sorry Shenzie that your counsellor made you feel irresponsible for kissing someone... that was wrong of them, they are supposed to try and make you feel better about your self!

Anyways, I just thought I'd reply to your post.

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mingo
Activist
Member # 7667

Icon 7 posted      Profile for mingo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celery,
I missed this post for a while, I'm so glad I found it. I've been worried for you and now I see you're getting some help and it's heading the right direction.
Blessed Be Dear

------------------
We are starstuff, we are the universe made manifest, trying to figure itself out

[This message has been edited by mingo (edited 08-30-2002).]

Posts: 126 | From: Ferndale, Mi USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got along really well with my counselor in middle school. She tried her best to inspire me, mostly because I slacked off far too much.

When I went to high school, I started seeing a professional outside of the school environment. The one I ended up seeing was nice, but then started bugging me about my homework. She was worse than my parents.

If you can find one that works for you, more power to you. They are amazing people and do wonders.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Celery,
I missed this post for a while, I'm so glad I found it. I've been worried for you and now I see you're getting some help and it's heading the right direction

Thanks so much, my counsellor has helped alot. I'm still grounded for getting caught with erm.. drugs which really made my parents mad and upset because it was less then a week after I got ungrounded for pretty much the same thing and swore that I wouldn't do it again.

I'm allowed out on weekends (yesterday was the first time I was allowed out) and I can honestly say I didn't do anything that I shouldn't do (drugs, drinking etc..) Even though I was offered it, I've been pretty strict with myself about it and have been sober for a bout a month now, which is a BIG step from before since I was smoking weed 4 or 5 times a day!

Well I thought I would just post an update on what's going on with me, since i'm not on here very often since i'm not allowed on the computer =[

But thanks for all your support guys, you've been great.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.