Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Body Issues--we all have them, right?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Body Issues--we all have them, right?
-Dust-
Activist
Member # 1021

Icon 13 posted      Profile for -Dust-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, right now, I'm doing through major body issues. I work out compuslsively--like if I have a little snack at 11 at night-I work out for 30 minutes straight.

I take a supplement that burns fat and all of that. It's all natural and I got them from GNC--so it's not that fake stuff that you can buy at the grocery store. I'm pretty sure it's safe, too. I've been using it for about a week and a half and I haven't experienced any side affects yet.

I'm getting frustrated though, because I'm not seeing the results I want. I beat myself up over it (sometimes I literally want to beat myself up), and I know that people say "oh, just accept yourself." But that is SO hard when everybody and everything is telling you that the way you are isn't good enough. The saddest part about this, is that I am in no way "obese" or "fat." My body fat is from 19-22 percent. What in the hell is wrong with me?

Would you say I need therapy, or will I grow out of this (I'm 17 years old)?

------------------
When you act like an ass, don't be upset when people ride you.

Posts: 63 | From: Virginia, U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Dust-
Activist
Member # 1021

Icon 4 posted      Profile for -Dust-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this topic has been brought up over and over again. I haven't been here in awhile. If I find another one I'll just erase the message.

------------------
When you act like an ass, don't be upset when people ride you.

Posts: 63 | From: Virginia, U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the National Institute Health, your BMI is well within the normal range of 18.5-24.9.

Exercising to get in shape is a fine thing, but exercising compulsively and taking weight-loss supplements without the advice of a doctor doesn't sound healthy to me. I'd say if you have the opportunity to talk to somebody about this, a doctor, a counselor, or even a friend or relative whose opinion you trust when it comes to body image, you should. Lay off the fat-burning supplements, and talk to a doctor or health clinic about developing a healthy diet and a reasonable exercise regime.

Also, I'd recommend using the search function and doing a search for "improving self esteem." You should be able to find quite a few good suggestions.

Good luck.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Dust-
Activist
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Dust-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, things have gotten a lot better. I just have to stay possitive, I guess. I also realized that I was being a little unrealistic.
angelicmadrigal
Activist
Member # 8854

Icon 14 posted      Profile for angelicmadrigal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we all go through tis sort of thing at some point. Maybe we don't all work out obsessively , but there is someting about our bodies that we all don't like at some point. It's a perfectly normal thing, to evaluate ourselves based on what we are TOLD to look like or by what other people look like.

Not everything in life boils down to needing therepy. The only way I'd even suggest that is if you feel that the way you excercise is dirupting your life.

[This message has been edited by angelicmadrigal (edited 07-02-2002).]

Posts: 100 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.