Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Who am I? Where am I? How did I get here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who am I? Where am I? How did I get here?
Jill-of-the-jungle
Neophyte
Member # 6244

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Jill-of-the-jungle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two weeks ago I had a panic attack which my mother did not believe I should be hospitalized for. That must have been the single most terrifying thing I have ever gone through. I am scared to go to sleep in fear it might happen again. I went to bed that night, upset because of events of the day(but not that upset). All I remember is I started crying and my whole body went numb... the only thing I could think of to do was scream. I screamed for my mother as loud as I could. Thats the end of what I remember untill the next morning. My mother told me I had been In my room for almost four hours, it felt like 15 minutes. She said I must have fallen asleep, and then had a bad dream. She also said I confessed my whole life to her.

Do I need to see a shrink? Has anyone else ever experenced anything close to what happend to me? My mother is manic depressive and bipolar, and I probably am to. Maybe it's that. I don't want to be insane, my sister is insane.

edited b/c your sig line is way too long and makes the posts harder to read ... Please change it so we don't have to chase you around editing your posts all the time.

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 01-19-2002).]

Posts: 7 | From: USA, SC | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can really relate to where you're coming from w/ this ... I've had panic attacks for a few years and they're defineatly not fun. You learn to deal w/ it and figure out what your triggers are, and then learn to avoid them.

I wouldn't say you needed to see a shrink right now ... Maybe if it occurs again you may want to bring it up at your next doctors appt. Manic depressive and bipolar are the same thing, and from what i know of it, it can be hereditary ... But just b/c they have a mental illness doesn't mean you will.

Can you talk to a school counselor about it? Do you have any close friends that you think may have been through the same thing?

------------------
*~*Smurfie*~*
Scarleteen Advocate

"When I am alone I am not aware of my race or my sex, both in need of social context for definition."
~ Maxine Hong Kingston

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you're going through. I have panic attacks all the time because of my asthma. I try to control them, but I don't think I ever will. My panic attacks sound a little different than yours, but I also panic from different things that you do. I'm afraid that I won't be able to breathe anymore. It's scary.

I guess the only thing that I can suggest is to try not to get frustrated about WHY you're having panic attacks. For me, it always seems to make it worse and it happens more often. I know that I have panic attacks because of my asthma, but I'm not always sure what triggers my asthma. It gets me really mad and upset, and I have to start all over again. Besides from that, I agree with Smurf that if it occurs again, you should do something about it.

It also helps to know that you're not the only one out that that this is happening to. We're here for you. *hugs*

------------------
Useless Crap

"This **** ain't over until the last record spins." Groove

"Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he would have to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to." Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.