Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » mentally ill parents

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mentally ill parents
toxicpisces
Neophyte
Member # 6345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toxicpisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering if there was anyone else out there whose parents are mentally ill. My father is bipolar and schizophrenic. He's a good person, but this is really hard for me to deal with, and I've never met another person in my situation.
Posts: 8 | From: Wheaton, IL USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
There are support groups in Illinois for family members of a mentally ill person. the one I have found is http://www.namidupage.org/support/coping_tips.html . I don't know enough Illinois geography to relate Dupage County with Wheaton. However, they may be able to refer you to help close by.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toxicpisces
Neophyte
Member # 6345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for toxicpisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wheaton happens to be the DuPage County Seat.

I should take back my statement about never meeting anyone else with a mentally ill parent. My father has been hospitalized more than once, and our family went to the support groups there. To me, it really seemed to be a waste of time. That's why I thought finding someone online for me to talk to might be more beneficial

Posts: 8 | From: Wheaton, IL USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father is mentally ill. When I was in elementary school, he had a complete breakdown. Without going into specifics, because it's hard to think about, he threatened to harm my entire family. As a result, he spent a long time in a mental hospital.

He's on medication now, has been for quite a few years, and is doing better. I still find myself afraid of him at times for the things he said, but as much as I used to be. He'll still get a little "crazy" sometimes and call us, ranting and raving about something or other. Then he'll call back and say how sorry he is, and how much he misses us.

It's hard to deal with. This person is supposed to be my parent, someone stable, but he's not. Our relationship changes from day to day, swinging from cold to lukewarm.

So, yeah. I think I sorta know how you feel. It sucks at times, but I'm glad he's getting help.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle Jessie
Neophyte
Member # 6306

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Michelle Jessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toxicpieces~it's so funny that I stumbled across your post as I was just about to post about the same thing! My father has struggled with Bipolar Disorder his whole life and it's getting much worse. (I have Bipolar Disorder as well so I know what's he going through). He mostly manic at the moment and our family psychiatrist is precribing him on all the wrong meds by trial and error.

Is mania the problem here or mostly depression? I have mostly depression and my dad is manic. He took his first drink of alcohol in 23 years 2 weeks ago and almost got into an accident. You have to listen to me when I say HE WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE THIS IN A MILLION YEARS. Last night he told me that I was ruining his life because he had a phone call in the middle of his favorite TV show and I was the one to hand him the phone. All in all, I know what you're going through and let me know if you want to talk about this furthur, I'm here for you.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toxicpisces
Neophyte
Member # 6345

my father leans very heavily to the manic side, although occasionally he'll suffer the physical effects of depression. ironically, i suffer only from depression, and severe anxiety.

it's hard to deal with the unpredictablity of my father. a little over a week ago, he was having some trouble. he decided that it was because of his antipsychotic medication, and the way to fix it was to stop taking it all together! so naturally, he went into a full blown schizophrenia for a few days. this is the only time in my life i've ever seen him like that, he's usually a lot more careful about his medication. and technically, he's only schizo-effective bipolar, so you rarely see the schizophrenia.

it's so hard feeling like i am the one parenting my father...

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.