Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Depressed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depressed
Michelle Jessie
Neophyte
Member # 6306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle Jessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should start by explaining a little bit about my background. I have been depressed off and on for the past 3 years but trust me, it's been mostly on. And what a miserable time that has been for me what with hardly attending school and trying different meds that only succeeded in making me sicker. I had thought that I had conquered depression though. Med-free too!

Well, for about the last month, I'm going from a pretty even keel to insanely depressed (yes, I'm safe and would not hurt myself) and I have no idea what to do. I refuse to go to any psychiatrist except my own who unfortunately, you must scehdule like a month in advance unless it's an emergency such as a risk of harming yourself. I also don't want any meds.

My problem is, I've stopped attending school. I know that I should go and I know how lucky I am to have made it into an alternative school that started out perfect for me and I'm sure would continue to be perfect if I could just get myself out of this lousy depression. I'm perfectly content with lying around the house reading and I have absoulutely no motivation to leave the house...it has taken all I have to sit down at the computer and write this.

Another problem: My grading at school is different. Half of your grade depends souly on your attendance...my grades are plummeting and I'm so miserable. My mom, I know she understands but she gets frustrated (just as I do) and wants me to suceed. I WANT TO SUCEED and I'm lacking the motivation to do so right now.

Any advice would be appreciated

Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had depression for three years, and though there have been times that I've wanted to go off meds, I've finally found "normality" with them.

The thing with anti-depressants is they take time to work. It's like with antibiotics - if you only take them until you feel better, the depression comes back, ready for the next round.

It isn't always easy to find the right med, and sometimes you have to change to suit your needs. I've been on 3 different meds so far.

If you don't want conventional medication, you could try taking evening primrose oil capsules. If your depression is chemical (caused by a lack of seritonon in your brain), exercise is helpful.

Hope everything works out.

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna send this on over to Support Groups, okie?
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hon, not wanting meds is a very common part of depression. My partner has severe depression, and we've struggled time and again with the meds/no meds issue. It's a tough one, and I can see both sides of it, having been on antidepressants myself for quite a while. They can be beneficial, but they can also be mis-used.

And as for seeing a therapist -- have you at the very least made an appointment with your psychologist? Even if she/he can't see you right now, the sooner you make an appointment, the sooner you can get in to start talking about this. You might also want to ask if they could call you if they have any last-minute cancelations -- a lot of places will do that when someone wants to be squeezed in sooner than the next available appointment. It's worth a shot, anyway.

Good luck.

Kyth

------------------
Kythryne
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform." - Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle Jessie
Neophyte
Member # 6306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle Jessie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can! I can't go on anti-depressants because I also have Bipolar Disorder and this throws my mania into overdrive. Through med-induced mania, I was raped and almost killed, so you can see why there is no way I want to try meds again. I've tried mood stableizers and they leave me feeling rundown beyond belief. So my problem is not with simply "not wanting to try meds" it's the fact that I have tried 17 different meds and not one of them has worked and a few put me in grave danger. Medication is no longer an option. Thank you.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered trying to find a new psychiatrist? Or perhaps a therapist or counselor who will help you explore alternatives to medication?

Alternative medicines might be another option. Accupuncture, herbal treatments, and even just allergy treatments have all helped certain people with bipolar disorder. Honestly, there's a lot we don't know about the human body, and while standard medications are certainly a viable option for many people, they are not the only option. I would encourage you to keep trying until you find something that works.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.