Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Therapy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Therapy?
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So.. I'm going to a physcologist this Monday to talk about a possible eating disorder and the cutting I've been doing as of late. Since my parents found out. Truth is, I'm not sure if I WANT to get better, so it's hard for me to take this visit seriously, but anyhow, I'm still really freaked out. I can't ask any of my friends who I know have been to therapy because I don't want them to know...but I'd like to know what happens at the sessions. Can anybody give me advice to get over my nervousness? I'm so scared.

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, i didn't want to get better either. I actually didn't think there was a problem, when i started therapy. You're a step ahead of where i was ... You seem to at least acknowledge that there's something not right going on.

As i said above, the first session can be kinda awkward. You don't really know the person and you're not sure if you're comfortable w/ them or not and stuff like that ... It's okay. You don't have to like them right away. You may even feel threatened by them. Finding a good therapist is really the key to getting "better". A good therapist will help you put things into perspective without telling you what to do. S/he's someone that you feel completely comfortable w/ talking to and know that what you tell them is going to stay confidential.

Of course, this isn't going to happen the first session. Maybe not even the first few sessions. It's extremely important to keep an open mind tho. By you saying that you're not sure if you even want to get better, i'm guessing that this isn't the right route for you, at the moment. You'd just be wasting everyones time and your parents' money. Sound harsh? It is. But i was there, and i did the exact same thing. I'm not trying to hurt your or insult you in anyway, but that's just the way it is. Be straight w/ your mom ... Either tell her that you're gonna try to do things her way, for her, b/c she wants to see you get better, or tell her that you're not ready to take that kind of risk right now, and that you'll consider trying again later.

And therapy is a big risk. And it's hard work. Don't let anyone tell you any different. There'll be some bumpy spots in the road but things will get better. You really do have to be open to it tho. So try to keep an open mind, okay?

Check out my story here ... I didn't go through exactly what you're going through at the moment, but i was persuaded to go into therapy by my mom too. And i survived

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to know what happens at the sessions. Can anybody give me advice to get over my nervousness? I'm so scared.

What happens during therapy sessions varies from therapist to therapist, but generally, you're just sitting in a room talking with the therapist about what's going on in your life, how you feel about the things that are going on, how you can work through things that are bothering you, and such. Usually during the first session, the therapist will ask you questions to try to get an overall idea of what's going on with you, and you talk back and forth about how therapy works, what you expect to accomplish during sessions, and other "getting to know you" stuff.

Try to be as honest with the therapist as you can -- I'd say even to the point of telling her/him that you're not sure if you want to get better, and that you're really freaked out about being in therapy. Like Smurfie said, therapy takes honesty, and it can be a lot of work. But it can be a really helpful tool for learning about yourself, too.

And do read the article Smurfie wrote. It's really good.

Kyth

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a ton.. I'm going in about an hour, so I'm going to take your advice and let you know what happens.

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also keep in mind that you don't need to think about it in terms of "getting better." Sometimes that wording has made me feel like there's something wrong with me that people want me to fix, and that's just not helpful. It can be working on whatever problems you want to work on, or even just having someone you can talk to.

------------------
"I'll be a Venus on a chocolate clamshell rising on a sea of marshmallow foam."
-Hedwig

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.