Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Depression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression
Member # 4389

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Doe4youbaby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how it began but after my sophmore year I began to be utterly unsatified with every thing and everyone around me. I became lathrgic and unhappy and I cry for no reason. I always feel excluded and even when I am included I feel like I shouldent be. I want to be set free from this depression today I stooped to an awful low I got hives and took benedryl and then went home..I could have just ignored the hives but I did something about it and I think I did it to be excluded. I need help please help me
Posts: 33 | From: ca usa | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there Doe4youbaby,

Sounds like you're going through a rough patch here. Have you considered talking to a counselor? That can be imensely helpful when dealing with these sorts of things, and there's nothing wrong with asking for help.

Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 6194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TekXombie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I admit I'm new to the bored, but I'm not new to this subject. You might have a point about the counselor, but personally, I hate them with a passion. They seem to try and get to the root of the problem and never really help anyone. My advice, to you, would be to just sit down and think about life. Think about everything you've got going for you. If you need someone to talk to, talk to a friend or talk to a parent, a counselor is a last resort, and a bad one at that. Heh, almost as bad as therapists, only they think they are ones but aren't. *grins*
Posts: 15 | From: Lapeer, Michigan, USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Boards TekZombie.

Around here we try to avoid generalizations. Your counselor may have been as you described, and he or she may not have helped you. But to say that all counselors are that way is unfair and untrue. You are free to offer reasonable suggestions based on your personal experience, just don't assume that your experience was universal.

That said, sitting down and thinking about all the good stuff in your life can help battle depression. Better yet, write it down.

When I went through a patch of depression a few years ago, I found out it was related to allergies. As it turned out, I was allergic to yeast. My birth control pills were causing yeast infections, and the yeast buildup in my body was causing depression. Yuck! My sister had mood swings caused by a dairy allergy. While this may or may not be your problem, hives can definitely be an allergic reaction. You might try keeping a "food and mood" diary for a month or so. Record what you eat every meal and how you feel every day, and see if you find any relationships.

And yes, seeing a counselor or doctor is a good idea. While I got my depression under control by controlling my allergies, my sister turned out to have non-allergy depression as well, so for the past few years she's been on mild medication and does much better.

[This message has been edited by Lady Moonlight (edited 12-08-2001).]

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.