Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Worries about family members

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worries about family members
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, I have become worried that my younger sister could be clinically depressed. She seems to go through patterns of deciding she wants something that will make her happy, being extremely happy for a few weeks and then falling deeply into depression and finding a new thing to want. It's been like this since she was about seven years old. Now, I'm not doctor or psycologist, but I do think she has some sort of problem that needs looking at before she can get on with her life.

I've talked to my mother about my concerns, but not to my sister. We are not close, and I honestly do not think that she would welcome any suggestions from me- in fact, a suggestion from me would probably make her go and do/believe the exact opposite.

I'm wondering in anyone else has been in a similar situation, and if so, what did you do? I'm also wondering if anyone who suffers from depression themselves could give me some tips.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I have clinical depression and your sister's symtoms do not appear to be straight depression but more like bipolar disorder (alternating very "up" and very "down"). Mind you I'm not a clinician so take my coments for what they cost.

It's worth having this medically investigated because there are effective medications available for both conditions.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Thang
Activist
Member # 5508

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Thang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
might be bipolar syndrome, but then again, with bipolar syndrome- the moods change more quickly than a few weeks.
Posts: 211 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, being on the other side of this sort of thing, I think you've already done a good first thing by sharing your concern with someone physically closer to your sis (if I remember correctly, she's back in hometown, is she?).

The best thing one can usually do as the friend and family member of someone who might be depressed or have any other mental health issue is to voice the concern somehow (or if you don't get along, to someone who does, like your mom here, Bep) and stay around and encourage someone to get pro help at a place that is nonthreatening, maybe at ehr school. Also, inform yourself. Being persistend in staying around and making clear that you don't expect anything in return usually helps, too. For me, depression showed me who cared and who didn't, and that really wasn't nice.

I personally think that http://www.wingofmadness.com is a great ressource for everyone somehow affected by depression. It's not "medical" or "technical", but personal, and simply great.

I also just finished reading a great book called "The noonday demon, an atlas of depression" by Andrew Solomon (check out http://www.noondaydemon.com) which is great insightful in depth reading on the issue.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 10-24-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Footnote:

MissThang, biploar disorder can actually have lots of different appearances. Many people experience rather long cycles (sometimes months) of either mania or depression. Rapid cycling, aka within minutes or hours, as often commonly associated with bipolar disorder, are rather rare.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catheren
Neophyte
Member # 5789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catheren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi my advic to you is to get to know your sister a little bit better go out for the day somewhere were no one can disturbe you both abd then start talking about day to day things then ask her if she has anything on her mind and f she doesn't say that it will be privet and that no one will find out make sure that she can trust you and that she can convied in you but the most thing that is inportant make sure that she tells you what is up with her or ask her to talk to your mam and if she doesn't sit her down and say that you want to help her with what ever problem she has let her know that you are there for her and that she has someone that she can turn to and let her know that what ever she say you must keep to your word or she won't talk to you like that again ok.

But my most inportant bit advice let her know that you love her and care for her ok don't let her think that she has no one that she can turn to because when you have depression it is bad you feel like that no one loves or wants you any more at all so show her that you are there and that she can talk to you ok let her get everything of her chest so that she feels better. And try and give her some advice ok.

P'S if you need any more help email me on *****--edited-- Please don't leave your email addy in your posts ... You can refer to the guidelines here for more info on why*****
ok and good luck

quote:
Originally posted by Beppie:
Recently, I have become worried that my younger sister could be clinically depressed. She seems to go through patterns of deciding she wants something that will make her happy, being extremely happy for a few weeks and then falling deeply into depression and finding a new thing to want. It's been like this since she was about seven years old. Now, I'm not doctor or psycologist, but I do think she has some sort of problem that needs looking at before she can get on with her life.

I've talked to my mother about my concerns, but not to my sister. We are not close, and I honestly do not think that she would welcome any suggestions from me- in fact, a suggestion from me would probably make her go and do/believe the exact opposite.

I'm wondering in anyone else has been in a similar situation, and if so, what did you do? I'm also wondering if anyone who suffers from depression themselves could give me some tips.

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 11-06-2001).]

Posts: 2 | From: england | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize how old this post was, but in case you're still reading this thread I'll post anyway

My sister is bi-polar, and so is my Dad, along with my Grandpa. My sister very often is in a very good mood, but if one little thing goes wrong she'll be mad the rest of the day. Sometimes she won't even talk, yelling things at everyone and calling people names. But then, she rarely ever takes her medicine. When my Dad doesn't take his medicine, he gets mad about little things and yells. My Grandpa, I've never seen him angry, but I have heard many stories. Along with having depression, he is an alcoholic.

Like Bobo and the others said, I'm not a doctor, but your sister does need some help. Cheer her up when she's blue. Buy her something. Make her something. Give her something to look forward to. I know that when my sister is mad, I leave her alone. How would you want to be treated if you were sad? I hope your sister finds help, and good luck coping.

------------------
"Never take back your emotions. It's what you were feeling at that moment." -Leelee Sobieski

greenjay blog

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.