Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » prozac users

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: prozac users
Beautiful day
Activist
Member # 3703

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Beautiful day     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have been suffering with depression for quite a long time.. lately within the past few months, my depression has come to an all time low.. i have suffered with anxiety attacks and i have almost every symptom of someone who is suffering from depression. My question is that my doctor might proscribe me to medication like prozac or another anti depressant.. i want to know for those who have used these.. did they work for u? and did u find any side effects?
Posts: 59 | From: Toronto/Ont/Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
donutduchess
Activist
Member # 4675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for donutduchess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had to take a med for depression. It wasent cuz I was depressed, it was used for my stomach pain due to my crohns disease. Anyways, I had a severe reaction to it. I started to get really antsy, and annoyed easily. I could not sit still for more than 5 mins. My days seemed to be endless, and it felt like I dident want to go on.

I started to wonder why I was feeling like this, and I noticed I was on a new med. I took myself off it (I know not smart to do) and within about a wk I was better.

Now I take another med for my stomach pain thats used for depression, and seizures. I am fine with it.

All meds come with there lovely list of side effects. You could get them or you couldent. Everyones body is different, so you wont know until you take them.

Good luck!

Posts: 76 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on prozac right now and it's working wonders for me. I also know of onemore person just off the top of my head that's using it and is very happy w/ it. I had no side effects ... none. Which was uncommon for me, b/c i had side effects w/ the other two anti depressants i've tried.

And there are tons of anti depressants out there... Prozac just happens to be the oldest and most well known. I was on zoloft for my panic attacks and depression at the very beginning ...

------------------
--Hollie West
*~Scarleteen Advocate~*

I have this nagging fear that everyone is out to make me paranoid.
~ Anonymous

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on Prozac now, and I agree with Smurfy, its a wonder drug. It has really helped me quite a bit. As for side effects, some minor stomach irritation, but that isn't too bad, especially if you take it with food. When I first went on it, I did have a little trouble falling asleep, but that really isn't a problem anymore.
It takes a little while to work, so don't get dissapointed if you don't feel noticably different the next day, but give it time. If you are suffering from clinical depression (I can't diagnoss that, go to your MD for that) it can help you.
Depression is ultimately caused by a lack of a brain chemical called seritonin. There are many different things, both physical and emotional, that can cause you to have low levels of seritonin. Prozac and its cousins (ie Zoloft, paxil) work directly on the lack of seritonin. If the ultimate cause of the low levels is emotional, then therapy, in conjunction with prozac is probably the best way to go.

Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on several medications for depression (not all at the same time though hehe). I was on some of them for OCD not depressoin and then others for depression. Welbutrin and Zoloft are to I can name off the top of my head right now. I'm on trileptol now to stabilize my moods. Um I've been on all sorts of things since I was seven. he medicine I'm on now works pretty well . So if the first thing they put you on doesn't work they may try something else. It may take a few tries to find something that works for you. Try not to fret if this happens. Going on medicine really isn't that big a deal. The big deal is that it helps you . Being on medicine is better than feeling depressed all of the time.

Rio

------------------
"There are a lot of hidden nerds. I'm aware of the exciting man in Trent The Nine Inch, but I can see the nerd in him, too. People who become the front runners often used to be outcasts or loners." - Tori Amos

Posts: 60 | From: near Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beautiful day:
i have been suffering with depression for quite a long time.. lately within the past few months, my depression has come to an all time low.. i have suffered with anxiety attacks and i have almost every symptom of someone who is suffering from depression. My question is that my doctor might proscribe me to medication like prozac or another anti depressant.. i want to know for those who have used these.. did they work for u? and did u find any side effects?

I'm on Zoloft for my OCD. I had a few side effects, like dizziness and drowsiness, but that was about it. Although, I was on Luvox (an antidepressant similar to Zoloft) for a while, and it made me very nauseous. But SSRIs (Selective Serotonin Reputake Inhibitors, such as Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc.) can work wonders. Sadly, there's still a stigma surrounding them. People seem to think that antidepressants just hide the depression, like some illegal drugs may do, but the truth is that they even out an imbalance.

I say go for it! And good luck. ::Hugs::

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"To the beemobile!"
"You mean your Chevy?"
"Yes."

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take Zoloft. It's helped a ton. The only time I experience side effects is if I forget to take my medication. Then I just feel overall "Weird", like out of place, weak.

------------------
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal"
~Incubus

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a sidenote, lilnerd, forgetting your medication can disrubt it's effectiveness. Zoloft was working for me fine too, then i was off of it for a few months, went back and it just wasn't working. I know there's a big difference b/w a day or two and a few months, but days can lead to weeks which lead to months and then you're wondering what happened. Be careful Doctors dont know why yet, but it happens. And while there's lots of anti depressants out there, it's important not to limit your options quite so soon in life
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Psychotropic medications, because they alter body chemistry, will have different results for each individual. That is why there are so many available. What works for one persone might not work for another. My stomach could not tolerate Prozac, Zoloft or Amyltripteline. My shrink and I eventually settled on one of the original psychotropics, imiprimine. It is so old, it is available as a generic drug.

The point is, it is OK to experiment, under medical supervision, with a number of antidepressants until you find one that works for you.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was on Prozac for a while last year, and it made me very anxious and gave me panic attacks. Then my doctor put me on Paxil, and I felt a lot better .

My understanding is that Prozac is designed to help people who are tired and sleep a lot along with their depression, so it kind of wakes them up more (I wasn't suffering from those things, so that extra energy gave me anxiety attacks). But Paxil (like the commercials about it) calms your anxiety over things. But ask your doctor before you decide on anything, because each situation's different. And each body reacts differently to medication.

My side-effects from Paxil included some sleepiness and disinterest in sex along with shakiness the first few months I was on it. But I don't suffer from any of that stuff now .

One of my fav quotes about anti-depressants is, "They don't get rid of your problems... They just make it easier for you to work through them".

Good luck with everything!

------------------
Don't mess with Texas

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was on prozac for a long time, and now im back on it. we had tried to increase my dosage to 10mg and i got really hyper so lol, that was kinda a side effect. now im not sure i havent been on it for long, about a month, but the day i take it i seem to be more "up" and laughy and then the day i dont im more down. (i take it every other day) i might try to take it everyday when i talk to my psychiatrist, and just half the dose how i used to. other than that i didnt really notice anything, it did work for me curing my OCD the first time.
Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.