Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Youth Groups

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Youth Groups
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do any of you belong to a youth group? I was talking with this girl who sits behind me in math class, and she was talking about how she is involved in a youth group. It sounds like a lot of fun! I'm actually kind of interested in joining one, because I want to meet new people.

So what do you do in your youth groups? Do you guys do activities, talk, go on trips? I just want a general idea about what kind of youth groups are out there.

Anyone?

------------------
Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

"Well, I use fertilizer and a new product I got at The Home Depot."

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moth
Activist
Member # 2606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mary:
Do any of you belong to a youth group? I was talking with this girl who sits behind me in math class, and she was talking about how she is involved in a youth group. It sounds like a lot of fun! I'm actually kind of interested in joining one, because I want to meet new people.

So what do you do in your youth groups? Do you guys do activities, talk, go on trips? I just want a general idea about what kind of youth groups are out there.

Anyone?

I used to belong to a youth group at a Unitarian church near me (if you're unfamiliar with the unitarians, the premise goes so: love everyone. respect everyone. have lots of potluck dinners. <g> it's GREAT fun) Anyway, we talked about our lives and had sleepovers and just hung out. I stopped going for two reasons: one, it was really too much of a commute for me every sunday, and two, an advisor I had really liked and connected with left.

If you join a church youth group, make sure it's a group whose beliefs match yours, that you like both the advisor and other members of the group. <g> Good luck!

------------------
Signed, Moth.

"Nothing in Life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie

Posts: 72 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Moth. Actually, I've been going on and off to a Unitarian-Universalist church over the past year, and I really think it's the right place for me. Maybe next time I go I'll ask if they have a youth group.

Thanks again for your help .

------------------

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in a youth group that has branches all over the US. It was alot of fun - I did it all 4 years of high school. We'd have weekly meetings, some formal in parli pro and some informal. We'd eat dinner or have snacks, go to Starbucks or a restaurant, etc. We'd watch movies and have sleepovers and go to weekend conventions and have "sports days" for boys against girls. We'd talk for hours. We'd plan activities and put on parties and formals for other area branches, and we started a bag drive that eventually got ADIDAS to donate backpacks and bags to little kids in a foster home who had nothing to hold their belongings. And, I made alot of good friends.

Being in a youth group is a great experience.

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Wow, Starry, that sounds awesome! What youth group was it? Maybe they have a branch near me...

I have yet to ask my church about a youth group there. I think I'll go this weekend and ask. I haven't gone to church in a few months, actually. The first time I went was last year, and I went at least once a month for a while. I miss it. I love my church, because it teaches me so much about being a good person. It seems to be the right environment for me.... They accept everyone there (they even hold PFLAG meetings on Sundays!). I'm really hoping they have a youth group there. Cross your fingers for me!

X <--- See, they're crossed .

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.