Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » THIS IS AN UNSUAL ONE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: THIS IS AN UNSUAL ONE
KevMezz
Activist
Member # 558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevMezz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok this post may get a closed thread but i can try anyway, I have a pet budgie who in the space of a few weeks has become very ill, I have taken her down to the vets nearly every other day. Today the vet said that if a improvement doesn't happen soon then well his words were "be crule to be kind and make your pets pain your own by releasing her from her phyical body"

and to be honest and don't know what to do, don't dare replie if you are just going to it's just a pet coz then you obviously don't understand

Posts: 118 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First I just want to request to room mods that this thread be moved to Support Groups. Thx

Now ... Kev ... I know you're upset and angry and a million other emotions, but remember this is a public forum. Telling people to "not dare reply" if they don't have the answer you're looking for isn't appropriate. That is something that will get your threads closed. Please watch your tone.

I wanted to be a vet from the time i was 10 until i was 16 ... so i know a bit about the animal medicine field. I volunteered for two years at a vet clinic here. I saw many cats and dogs be euthanized (sp?) b/c they were in pain. It's not a fun thing to have to do, but I believe it is really the right thing.

It's really difficult. I totally understand that, as would anyone else here who has lost a pet ... Whether they died on their own or had to put down. Would you rather your budgie be living in pain, just b/c you can't part w/ him/her? That really seems rather selfish and really unfair.

I know how hard it is. I had to have my little poodle be put down b/c he had tumors all along the inside of his stomach and intestines. We had him for about 3 years or so ... I was really really attatched to him. I'm really attached to my cat right now too, and i know if anything like that ever happened, i would be in the same mess you're in right now. It's something that has to be done tho.

Sleep on it. Write a few things out ... weigh the pros and cons. Maybe have a meeting w/ your vet (w/o the bird there) or get a second opinion. There are many options ... You need to get a clear head tho. Getting angry about the situation isn't going to change it, it just complicates things further.

Feel free to email me at kuddleekoala@hotmail.com or find me on icq if you ever need to talk.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything for the lovely blue philosopher. On to the Support board we shall go.

------------------
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely understand this. I have a water dragon who has been ill since I got him, and only recently recovered from pneumonia. The vet let in known right away that normally water dragons are not very good with respiratory problems, and if he doesn't improve then putting him down in the most humane choice. I went home that day crying. It's hard, pets are so innocent. I have been doing all I can for him though, and amazingly, he's doing great, even though he has days where I worry. But if he hadn't gotten better, I would definitely choose to put him down. NOT because he's "just a pet", but because he IS a pet, and pets don't understand why they're in pain. You can't explain that to them, and it's not fair to make them suffer when they aren't going to improve.

What you should do now is ask your vet what you can do to help your budgie, IF you can help your budgie. And if you can, do everything you can. If not, look for your budgie to give you signals that he doesn't want to go on. I know it's hard, I've lost a lot of pets, but it's better than letting your budgie suffer when he shouldn't have to.

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"What kind of paradise am I looking for? I've got everything I want, and still I want more...."- Ani

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, Siren is spot on. It is very tough having to let your pet go. No doubts about it. My beloved dog died a year ago and while I didn't have the option to let him go, it hurts like crazy that he had to leave.

Sometimes the best thing we can do is to let our pet go. Especially if it is in alot of pain and will just spend the rest of his remaining time suffering.

As Siren said, ask your vet if there is anything you can do. And if your vet says that the best thing you could do to spare your budgie the pain is to let him go, then you should give serious consideration to that. It's difficult. No doubts about it. But could it also be for the best?

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.