Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Big is beautiful!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big is beautiful!!
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,68-117084,00.html

Do you agree w/ this therapy? Would you be willing to take part? Why or why not?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it's a good idea for those who want to do it, but i doubt it's for everyone. I wouldn't take part because i'm not really comfortable doing something like that. I would do it for someone i'm in love with, but only then.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would try this, although I'm not a female with a distorted body image so there goes that plan. It's like that Alanis Morissette song "I recommend walkin around naked in your livin room, I certainly do." Then again, Alanis doesn't know what my living room is like, soo.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has the potential to be very useful for some people. I wouldn't do it myself, though; I have things to do that are infinitely more useful to me than learning to strip.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would do it in front of people I know and am comfortable with.

Strangers? I don't think so. There are more ways to learn to be comfortable with my body.

I'm shy.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with most of the above posters, this can be quite useful for some people but not for all.
A far less drastic thing which has helped me accept myself the way I am has been going to the Sauna/Spa where you are surrounded by naked people of all genders, shapes and sizes and being naked is normal. Has really helped. Just sitting somewhere, in the nude, or floating in warm thermal water in the nude...feels good and makes you feel good, too.

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hee hee. It sounds like lots of fun to me, but that's because I already like my body most of the time. I think that if I didn't, I would definitely be too scared to do something like that.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never went as far as stripping, but I did take bellydancing lessons for a while. (Note: Bellydancing and stripper-type exotic dancing are NOT the same thing, but they do share a sense of sensuality.) I'm a natural klutz, and Middle Eastern dance was great for helping me develop a sense of my own body movement. It didn't turn me into a graceful person, by any means, but I did gain a lot of confidence, so I can see how this therapy might be effective.
Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juice
Activist
Member # 3325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if it makes tose people feel better about themselves, that's GRRREAT!

Personally I wouldn't do it b/c it's in front of strangers and I'm very umm... clumsy and un-cowardinated (sp?). And I just don't think it would help me.

Originally posted by Alaska:
A far less drastic thing which has helped me accept myself the way I am has been going to the Sauna/Spa where you are surrounded by naked people of all genders, shapes and sizes and being naked is normal. Has really helped. Just sitting somewhere, in the nude, or floating in warm thermal water in the nude...feels good and makes you feel good, too.

Wow, that's great that people are so comfortable with themselves. In North America most people are so uptight and, well, embarassed I guess. I don't know of any place were mixed genders relax in the nude together here.

Posts: 45 | From: Toronto, Ontatio, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.