Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Comfort food for the soul !!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Comfort food for the soul !!
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno what got me thinking about this, but the other nite i had a major craving for something my mommy used to make for me when i was sick. Buttered toast, w/ apple sauce and tea w/ milk and sugar. It always makes me feel so much better ... For some strange reason

What foods do you turn to when you're feeling low ... ?? Does it make you think back to better times or remind you of someone ... ?? Share your thoughts

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, it's midnight and i just scarfed a bowl of cereal. that's college life for you. no sleeping or eating patterns. just chaos.

but there's nothing like my mum's fish soup. nothing in the world. i can't describe it, and if i told you what was in it, i'm sure you'd look at me funny.

or there's always rice porridge (jook). with a little ginger and chicken on top. mmm. great when i'm sick, or if i have just a little leftover rice.

and i gotta give mad props to the japanese lifestyle of convenience, for it has begotten instant *miso* in little "just add water" packets.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm Chocolate?

Yes, yes Lin is boring alright?

Chocolate, chocolate milk, chocolate spread on toast and cocoa.

Other than that, instant noodles cheer me up too even if they are horribly unhealthy.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me personally, lots of foods are comfort foods.
I’m usually a very sensory pleasure oriented food person….
Creamy things are cool. Nothing like my fave hot chocolate with cream, and tea with milk and sugar is right up there with warm semolina pudding (that’s usually intended for babies), warm vanilla pudding and a nice creamy low fat potato soup (made myself some today). Or luxury fruit (things I usually can’t afford and that I only get very seldom, like Mangoes). Or my mom's Boef Stroganoff (even though I prolly won't eat that ever again for Mad Cow reasons). And of course chocolate. Fine dark Swiss chocolate (preferably Frigor…aaaah).
Or anything hand fed to me by my guy. *sigh*

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben and Jerry's. Sad but true. I buy a pint and eat it all at once.

I love food in general though. I'm so happy today I'm just about glowing...we went downtown and went to the downtown market (held every saturday morning in a closed-off section of the street) and picked up fresh, mostly local produce. Just as people were closing up, so we got some good deals. Then we went to C'est la vie, the French (...really French. Everyone who works there is bilingual...) bakery on mainstreet. Then we went to the organic grocerystore. We would have gone to the Amish outdoor market too, but by then we had more food than we could carry! It's almost all fresh local/organic produce and fresh bread and then organic dairy products. I keep thinking of more meals I want to make with all of it. So yeah. Food makes me happy. Shopping for it makes me happy. Preparing it makes me happy. Eating it makes me happy. Sharing it makes me happy.

If I've just failed an exam or something though, I usually end up with a pint of Half-Baked. So it goes.

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Eclipse, I agree with you, shopping on real markets kicks bum. We have one right near the cathedral every day, and on Saturdays, it's bigger than during the week, mostly with local & organic produce, too. - Walking between the stands, I keep getting cool ideas for cool veggie meals and the desire to eat healthily. It's shopping with all senses. *sigh* So much better than supermarkets.

------------------
“...i'm just trying to find
a decent melody
a song that i can sing
in my own company...”

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOhh, good topic!

I think it depends on the weather...I don't think I have "comfort foods" as much as I have "comfort drinks." Isn't that strange? But I have always really been that way...food doesn't really appeal to me that way it does to some of my friends.

When it's wintertime, I like to go for a good cup of some ol' hot chocolate, maybe with whipped cream and some marshmallows just thrown in for kicks. I am convinced that there is something therapeutic about hot chocolate, it's most definitely good for the soul.

During the summer months (bear in mind that summer out here is like February thru November...haha) I go for a biiiiiig tall glass of some iced tea. No sugar or lemon for me, just some good ol' bitter iced tea hits the spot nicely.

As for when I am working, that's a different story. Since right now I work Friday, Saturday, Sunday "Graveyard," when I need comfort I seek solace in a cup of coffee. Starbucks tends to close about 10pm or so out here, which is only 3 hours after I get on duty (and when it is still far too busy for me to grab a cup of java), so usually I have to wait until 3am or so and roll into the local 7-11 for a good wake-me-up.

I've often wondered why some people find comfort in food while others do so with drinks. I don't really drink alcohol so I'm not worried about turning to "the bottle," but I must admit I'm kind of the oddball amongst my friends.

Almost time for work...better go grab one last cup of iced tea before I hit the door.

--Danny

------------------
Remember...absence makes the heart grow fungus.

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cinnamon toast on white bread. my mom used to mix the cinnamon and the sugar together in a shaker. yum. also cinnamon raisin bread toast.

oranges. lemon zinger tea. egg bagels with butter and salt. french fries.

em

------------------
Tout est au mieux dans la meilleure des mondes possibles

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
-Voltaire

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a Ben & Jerry's girl, too. Chunky Monkey and Cherry Garcia. I like Cream of Wheat with brown sugar on top, lot's of brown sugar. Er...what else. My mom makes this great hot chocolate with the little marshmellows, thats good. Er, and although it has no connection to my childhood or anything, Creme Brulle always tastes great.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Farina (or cream of wheat) with melted butter from a saucer, lots of cinnamon, and brown sugar from my Baba (Grandma).... ahhh

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.