Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » My Mom is sick

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Mom is sick
twinkletoze
Neophyte
Member # 2811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twinkletoze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
within the last couple of months my mom has lost about 30 to 40 pounds.
that may not seem drastic but the thing is she isnt exercising or dieting
in fact shes eating more than usual...

my family and i begged her to go to the doc once we saw what was starting but she refused to go.
shes erratic adn she looks well...bad!!!
her face istn the same and neither are the things she says.
well we finally got her to the doctor and shes waiting on the results form a blood test...i am so scared what they will reveal...the doctor assumes it maybe an overactive thyroid but suppose its sumtin worse?the big C lingers in my mind

within the last 2 or 3 weeks 3 of my friends have lost thir moms.
so i suppose that has me thinking about death
i am trying to stay postive and pray alot but it scary to think i am losing my mom.

and this may sound weird in fact i KNOW it sounds weird but i wud only have the courage to say this here...if (God forbid) my mom should die then i would want my dad to die too.
is that a perfectly sick way of thingking???
if mom passed on i know i wud miss her adn so on but i also know that life goes on and i wud cope.
but my parents are very much in love still after 20 years of marriage and i know that neither can be without each other.there has only been one time when i have seen my dad cry..and it was once when my mom was sick.
they are each others soul mate and need each other.

so i am worried about my dad...i dotn think he wud be able to cope...obviously he very well mite be able to but i know he will be unhappy without her...unhappy seems like such a mild word...

neways
this was jsut a vent fo rme
send a postive thoguht for me that my mom is ok?
and please tell me wht ou think of my wanting both my paretns to die at the saem time

Posts: 29 | From: somehwere in the caribbean..arent u jealous?:) | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not thinking sick. Believe me. I know a few older couples who have died w/i 6 months of each other. The first one would have died from something known ... such as the "C" word, and then the other would die of a 'broken heart', so to say. Or maybe it's just a coincidence. But just as you can move on, so can your dad, if that should be the case.

But that's way too negative for my liking. Not many people w/ thyroid problems die from it. And that would really cause her to lose so much weight. I forget if that's hyper or hypo ... ?? Anyway, that much is fixable. W/ medication, she'll gain some of the weight back and look more like the mom you know and love

Be thankful you got her to go to the doctor. She sounds just as stubborn as i am. I've had strep throat for a week and just went to the doctor yesterday So i can see her dislike for doctors, but your health is nothing to play around with. You only get one body and if you mess that one up due to carelessness (not going to the doctor) then what are you going to do? Rent a new one? Nuh uh.

Chin up. Be there for your parents and maybe to make yourself feel useful, you can help your mom remember her medications and make some new meals (I have a really really good tuna casserole recipe if you want it ... And it came from a kids cookbook! Simple simple!!) for her to try, so she'll stay healthy.

I honestly do know where you're coming from tho. Ever since i've been a wee tot (6 or so), my mom has suffered through cancer of the cervix. She went through chemo and went into remission. Due to chemo, they successfully shut down both her kidneys, so now she's on dialysis and waiting for a transplant donor. And I still have my mommy. Sooooo ... moral of the story, cancer isn't the end of the world. Mom has had it for 10 years and she's still going strong. Your mom might too. Don't bury her before she's dead sweetie

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right on all counts as usual, Smurfalicious.

My mom's got degenerative kidney disease, and has been sick with it for about 9 years now. She got a donor kidney and had a successful kidney transplant about 4 years ago after spending a long time on the list waiting and hoping for a kidney, but because of the nature of her type of kidney disease, is having problems with her new kidney, and will eventually lose it, too.

But you know, the old "don't bury her before she's dead" thing is really very true. And there are a LOT of things (like a sydrome called Graves' Disease, which is fairly common and is basically just the thyroid gland kicking itself into warp drive for no reason) that are NOT terminal illnesses that can cause rapid, unexplained weight loss.

So kick back, wait to hear what the docs have to say, and don't stress out any more than you absolutely have to. There are fairly few diseases these days -- even cancer -- that are short-term death sentences. Most people who have serious, so-called "terminal" diseases, live for quite a while, many of them for years and years.

No, that doesn't make it fun to have to deal with this stuff. But it also means that it's very unlikely that your mom's going to just drop dead out of the blue.

Hang in there, honey. You can join the Scarleteen Sick Mom Club if you have to, but let's hope you don't!

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sexy1985
Activist
Member # 1892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexy1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mommys sick too. We just found out Friday that she has a large tumor on her uterus.

Posts: 64 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hyperthyroidism. Leads to weight loss, bulging eyes, insomnia, and general jumpiness. Can be treated by destroying the thyroid and giving replacement hormones (like for hypothyroidism, which leads to overweight, tiredness, coldness, general sluggishness, and whihc I know pretty well because my partner suffers it badly)

And babe, I wish her that, or something simpler and easily treatable, over the scarier option. Does that sound sick? It's sort of like what you said, and that hardly seemed wrong to me, just the lesser of however many evils, which sometimes is all we have to choose from, or hope for. I don't have much advice to give, but I really do wish you luck, and think that Smurf was right on.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.