Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I canīt concentrate!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I canīt concentrate!!
4.exe
Activist
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.exe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This really upsets me. I have a very important exam in a week (February 15) but itīs so hard to concentrate. I had this exam about two months ago and i lose it, not because i not studied, i lose it because it was very hard, so now i must study four times more at least...
Itīs like... i read for an hour and i finish exhausted, completely bored and i need to rest an hour or two to continue study... itīs just too slow. I do my best, but... i have too many stuff on my head... girlfriend, sex, i need money, my mom needs money (we can lose our home so Iīm making some webpages and other stuff to desperatly find some cash), and iīm also damn nervous for this exam. I think i can pass it if i study a bit harder, but i need some tips... how i can concentrate more and stop thinking all that other stuff?
Iīm reading about that boring french revolution, and in a couple of seconds i discover myself thinking about anything else music, Photoshop layers, friends, or drawing in a corner of the sheet of paper. maybe is only having some willpower. i donīt know :/ I really want to finish this exam, so i can simply lay in my bed and think about all the things i have in my head.
please help

4.exe
~you're walking through my heart once more - don't forget to close the door~

Posts: 53 | From: Montevideo, Uruguay | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand very well, 4.exe that you can't concentrate if you have a zillion things in your head. Thing is, while there are obviously lots of things that you need to work out, it's important that you try to tell yourself that right now the exam ahead of you is your top priority. And that you will address all the other things afterwards.

Anyway...so here is some general advice on exam preparation:
Get yourself a workplace where there is no TV around and where no one will disturb you. Turn off the puter if you don't need it for your exam preparation.
Overview all the work to be done and schedule time to do it. Check with your teacher what kind of test is ahead of you. Given what topics you expect to be most important on the test, set priorities among your study tasks and plan to do the most important ones first.
Practice doing what you will be doing on the test. If you will be solving problems, then that is what you need to do while studying; if you will be conjugating Spanish verbs, then write these out. Answer unassigned problems or questions in the text or anticipate test questions by thinking frequently, 'If I were making up this test, I would probably ask...', and then answer your question. To my knowledge, the most effective way to prepare for any test is to practice doing what you will have to do on the test.
Breaks are important as well, and if you find yourself really troubled to sit and study for long streches of time, then get yourself a timer and set it at a short time, like 20 minutes. Try to study nonstop for those 20 minutes and give yourself 5 minutes (on the timer) as a break afterwards. Then set the timer on 20 minutes again and get studying.

Hope that could be of help. Good Luck for the Exam.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...*double post*....

'caus Alaska's puter and modem are a bit moody again today.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-07-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee
Activist
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you can learn something it has to be something you're interested in knowing. Don't approach this as something you have to do for a grade. The grade is a diversion, something that is put there to trick you into worrying about it when its not why you're there to begin with. So forget about it. Drop it from you mind and walk away from it.

Now...

Go back and look at the subject you're studying again. What is there about it that is interesting? What is there there to learn? By learn I don't mean memorize for a test, studying/memorizing things for a test is just another way of falling for the grade trick. Forget about the test. The test isn't why you're there reading about the French revolution any more than the grade is. You're there because knowing about what happened then can help you better understand the world and life today. The test you'll be given in school isn't the real test. The real test is whether or not you can use what your're studying in life. Approach the subject to understand and be able to apply it and no test any teacher can give you will even phase you. Plus you'll actually derive some benefit from your education beyond the pretty piece of paper you'll get when you graduate.

The problem is that our schools are purposefully set up and designed to discourage you from doing this. They encourage you to stress out over how well you score on a test or on a homework assignment instead concerning yourself with learning anything.

But if you recognize the trap you can disable it so that it has no power over you. All of the usual things that are puppet strings to others will literally have no effect on you.

I'm finding it difficult to really put into words exactly what I mean. What I'm talking about here is a frame of mind and an outlook on education. Much of this I've never tried to describe before at all. Basically be in school to learn and worry about learning for the sake of learning instead of worrying about a grade. Do that and the grades will take care of themselves and so will the tests.

I graduated from high school with an A average and got a 1350 on my SAT. I'm not going to Arizona State on a full ride scholarship. I'm not saying that to impress you or to make myself look smart. I'm telling you this because both my grades and my test scores are a result of my approach to school. School was easy and fun for me because I didn't fall for all the BS they tried to put over on me. I simply ignored it and kept on working to learn all I could.

This is the best advice I can offer you. I hope that its been of some help.

Lee

Posts: 175 | From: Tempe, AZ USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im with lee on this one...btw...g'luck...ill say a prayer for u

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my brain drifts, too. sometimes you need to clear your head. that's when I sit down and meditate for a bit of time -- it can vary -- until i feel peaceful and lucid.

then, when i settle myself on the task, I conciously force myself to focus. if my brain drifts, i catch it and bring it back to earth.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.