Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Anatomy of a hate crime

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anatomy of a hate crime
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm.... I was watching Mtv the other day and a movie came on. It was the story of Matthew Shepard, a gay college student in Wyoming, who was brutally murdered because he was gay. Even though I'm straight, It made me cry because he seemed like a great guy, and to me it was a terrible sensless crime. It also made me realize what it would it would feel like to be gay, and what any person in a minority group has to go through. It's still unbelievable that in this day and age people are biased, ridiculed, and murdered just because of who they are. The violence needs to stop. There are plenty of people out there who support the fight against hate crimes, but there are also many who don't. Matthew Sheppard's message was that if he could make just one person out there realize what it feels like to be gay and to be persecuted for being who they are, then his life would be worth it. I was just wondering if anyone else saw that movie, and how everyone feels toward hate crimes and descrimination? Thank you all for reading this.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
"We have to pause and ask ourselves: how much clean air do we need?"~ Lee Iococca
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Snaps! I missed it and my VCR wasn't working so I didn't get to tape it.

But anyways, hate crimes make me sick. It's sad to hear about them. Did anyone see the MTV special where they just did reports of hate crimes? I did and I was in tears.

I am one of those people who fight against hate crimes. There should be worser punishment for people who commite hate crimes. Alot of those who assault someone of another race or because of their sexuality should just get a slap on the wrist but should get jail time.

It's hard for me because I live down the street from a skin head. He knows I'm mexican and he'll walk up and down the street with his confredrate flag bandanna on. Everyone once in while I'll hear him say something like 'spic' or 'wet bag'. I don't let it bother me. I have to fight it because I know that if I show him it gets to me it'll just make him feel like he's winning the game over ignorance.

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid! :)

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine is currently suffering serious harassment from someone at her college because he saw her rainbow earring, and apparently decide that because she's gay she's a lesser form of life. Which he means he asks her invasive questions, yells out to anyone nearby that's she's a F****** LESBIAN!!! and finds that extremely funny, and has basically said that if she seeks help she can expect violence from him and his friends. And I know he's capable of that without feeling any guilt; I knew him in highschool, and knew him to be part of a group that found stuff like trapping kids in sandboxes (the sort meant for storage, not play) because they were the wrong race (great figuring of him; anyone who's not caucasian is here for our amusement) to be great fun.

The problem is that the college she's at is a small private one and doesn't really care to know about that sort of thing, and I really doubt the police here are much use. Some months ago, someone died after being beaten for resisting arrest for not having a light on his bicycle at night, and our former mayor got away with banning a gay pride parade because it didn't agree with her religious beliefs. My other friends who are aware of the situation want to hurt the guy -- but I'm not sure that could come to any good. So, what now?

And you know, what's wrong isn't that people are being attacked because they're gay, it's that they're being attacked at all. Regardless of your morals, if someone's doing something you don't like, but isn't harming themselves or anyone else, that does NOT give you the right to hurt them. Really.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that movie was a serious eye opener. even the reports on the hate crimes. it literally made my stomach rumble. i CANT BELIEVE people can be so ignorant and uncompassionate! you would think that things like the holocaust would turn you around. people can be really stupid sometimes...

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hate crimes are sad and sick. I read an article about this litle black boy who was being abused in school. He eventually got killed. And it just seems so senseless and so sick that you die because you are of a different skin colour.

Gee, I don't really know what to say but it would indeed be a day for rejoicing if people could just stop thinking they were better than others.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxFIFxX
Activist
Member # 2109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxFIFxX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish I knew why people are so closed minded... What does it matter what someone's sexual preference is? Why must we install these laws that makes their lives harder? I'm from California and we're considered pretty liberal, yet that damn prop. 22 was passed (the not recognizing of gay marriages). Why do these ignorant religious freaks insist that everyone is like them? Why do they care if 2 people they don't know have a relationship? How does that hurt them? *sigh* I just hope everyone watches that movie, it made me cry too. I think every high school should be playing that for the students... maybe open up someone's mind

------------------
*I wish I didn't care, but I do*

Posts: 62 | From: Los Angeles, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a note, calling sexual orientation (heterosexual/homosexual/bisexual) a "preference" is generally a no-no -- preference implies orientation is completely a choice, and it really isn't. Orientation is the correct term.

Not using that term alone can make a big difference when dealing with sexual bigotry -- it's a term that the bigoted side of the fence likes to use a lot because it gives them leeway.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sympathys_Sin
Activist
Member # 792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sympathys_Sin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boyfriend and i were talking about separation of church and state. isnt marriage kind of a religious thing, if anything? i know it has become more legal nowadays, but still. who is the government to say i cant marry who i want to?

its really easy to see where it all comes from. i'm so sick of tv shows where they make the gay guy the comedy relief character, arent you? and i think it wasn't till like the 9th grade that "youre gay" was no longer the worst possible insult. i go to a school where football coaches call their players "fags" if they have an off day. it's so sad.

but yeah. people shouldn't ever have to die over stuff like this.

Posts: 49 | From: MA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Dust-
Activist
Member # 1021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Dust-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hate crimes make me so scared and sad! i mean who do these people think they are? they can't just kill god's (if you believe in god) creations! killing or hating somebody over skin color is so stupid! i have come into contact with nazis before and it was no party, i tell you!
Posts: 63 | From: Virginia, U.S.A | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.