Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » do i have ocd?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: do i have ocd?
ilm928
Neophyte
Member # 1426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilm928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok this is gonna be so hard to explain. this all started maybe a year ago or more. i don't know how to describe it, but i will tell u some stuff that i do...when placing a drink down (anything for that matter) i have to tap the item several times or keep placing it down up to 7 times or more. if i don't do this i feel that something bad is gonna happen to me, my bf, or my family. i have so much wierd stuff like that that i have to do. i have a "ritual" before i go to bed also. i am afraid and i can't not do them because it's hard just to quit. i told my mom but she thinks that it is all in my head. even my friends notice this. and i usually only do this stuff when i am alone. please respond

luv,
scared

Posts: 20 | From: pittsburgh | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I have OCD ... and it actually had to be brought to my attention before i noticed it myself!! Kudos on your noticing a problem and trying to fix it ... Admitting you have a problem is the first step to finding a solution

First of all ... I don't think any of us here can tell you what you have, or what is wrong or anything like that. All we can suggest is that you talk to someone more qualified (say, a doctor) to help w/ these problems. Even a GP should be able to tell you what it *could* be and who else you can talk to that might be able to help you a bit more.

I think the biggest thing about OCD is that it starts to change things in your life. You do things that you normally wouldn't do ... And it starts interupting what used to be *normal* for you. Have you seen the movie "As Good As It Gets"?? One of the guys would freak out if he stepped on a crack on the sidewalk and he'd do just about anything (inc. stepping OVER people) so he wouldn't have to step on them. As long as he didn't step on a crack, his life would continue to be fine, just the way it was ... This is OCD

But that's just an example. As i said before, the only thing you can really do is make a doc appt and explain your situation and see what s/he thinks you should do about it. Here are some sites i dug up that should help you a bit more ...
http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=88599&id_list=&cookied=T http://www.ocdhelp.org/faq.html http://www.ocdresource.com/

Hope this helped a bit

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have OCD I used to have big problems with it but it really isnt bad any more, and it definately doesn't interrupt my life anymore. I agree with Lilbluesmurf nobody here can tell you what you have, we are not doctors. Since you are worried about this, ask your doctor. They may be able to tell you or they may be able to recomend someone who can.

Posts: 60 | From: near Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a while before I had determined my anxiety disorder I thought I may have possibly had OCD. A wonderful, wonderful book that I can recommend you read that deals with this disorder as well as phobias, & panic is called "THE SKY IS FALLING" BY RAEANN DUMONT. This book helped me tremendously. Many people have rituals. I do. But I've learned that they are not something that is affecting the way I run my life. People with OCD panic and feel like everything is wrong if they do not partake in the rituals. If this is impairing your life in any way then you should tell your mother that. It is a good thing you are paying attention to what is going on with yourself like Lilblue said. But, she's also right in that we can't determine what's going on with *you* but I'm happy to give any advice you need (Also if you are looking for more resources I have a ton)

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dancypants
Neophyte
Member # 803

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dancypants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have OCD too! At first it seems really upsetting and stuff, but after awhile you WILL get through it! Trust me. I thought I was a freak, but then I realized that millions of people in America do the same things. You sound really worried, so I suggest just see a therapist or someone who is capable of diagnosing a mental disorder. One of my little rituals was the hand-washing. I had to wash my hands 7 times really thoroughly with lye soap or else I was afraid I would get really sick. So don't worry too much about it, your not alone.
Posts: 7 | From: Ft. Wayne, IN | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troublemaka
Activist
Member # 543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troublemaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow i never thought that so many people had OCD. i was just crusin though the boreds and came across this topic, i have a disorder but it seems like every other person has it too ADD. i used to take adderal, then i swiched to Ritalen and then i just stopped taking it altogether, i figure it will make me a stronger person for not getting help from a pill when i now i can do it on my own. Not that i am encourageing any one else to stop taking the meds, i had to talk to my doc before i did that.

i know this really had nothing to do with the topic, but owell!

------------------
Deffintion of "Tube top"- an elastic basket to hold the peaches. -SNL Cheri O'Teri-

Posts: 92 | From: Somewere over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I'm happy to say that what I have said for over a decade about Ritalin is finally starting to be said by the medical community and by the mainstream press: ADD and ADHD are WAY overdiagnosed (it was a trend, basically) and Ritalin used for children and young adults often causes more problems than fixing them.

So if you are on Ritalin (bear in mind that it IS a stimulant, not the opposite -- it only works oppositely in young children who have not had adrenal and hormonal development) I suggest you talk to your psychiatrist about it.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrayolaChica12
Neophyte
Member # 2393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrayolaChica12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
itz great that you realize it now.

you have to nip it in the butt before it gets ne worse. try to change your ritual, even in the slightest way. you can do it, it just has to take some time.
good luck

Posts: 13 | From: Elk Grove Village, Illinois, United States | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.