Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » I never knew

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I never knew
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn;t sure where to post this, but..
Mz. S-
I was reading your reply to the post about suicide, and one thing struck me as odd-Suicide is illegal? What exactly are the consequences, especially of the person's suicide attempt fails? Thanks for answering.

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without sounding morose, comitting suicide (if the person actually dies) is not illegal. Attemtping suicide (if the attempt fails) is. In addition, in mnay places assisting a suicide in any way is also illegal.

The consequences are quite dire. It generally means involuntary comittment to a state or county mental instituion, and let me tell you, county mental hospitals are about as close to hell on earth as you can imagine.

That being that case, what generally happen when a suicidal or chronically depressed person is comitted to one is that they only get even worse. Couple that with the stigma attached to having an involuntary comittment on your record, and flatly, what you end up with is a ruined life, even if you've managed to live through an attempt.

It is incredibly sad.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FireAnt
Neophyte
Member # 2029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FireAnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet is right, in most states you are sent to an insilum. Exept for one Washington D.C., where, oddly enough, the punishment is death.

------------------
Take chances, live life, get dead.

~~ FireAnt ~~

Posts: 6 | From: Fremont, Ca, 94539 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fire, you aren't kidding? I had no idea that was the law in D.C. That is incredibly bizarre and a walking oxymoron.
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Before the death penalty was abolished in Canada, execution was the penalty for attempted suicide. However, I can't come accross a case where this was ever enforced.
Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FireAnt
Neophyte
Member # 2029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FireAnt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, i am not. The law was origonally made to keep possibly mentally disturbed goverment workers from leaking secrets. Thats why D.C. has and always will be the only state with captial punishment for atempted suicide.

------------------
Take chances, live life, get dead.

~~ FireAnt ~~

Posts: 6 | From: Fremont, Ca, 94539 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know SIngapore is not everybody's favourite country. Yes, the land of no chewing gum and the cane.

But, if anyone is interested, it is illegal here to attempt suicide too (Big surprise). Even if your suicide attempt is successful, the body is handcuffed and this is a rumour, but the body is flogged.

And in Singapore, record numbers of people commit suicide everyday coz we have so many high rise buildings.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know SIngapore is not everybody's favourite country. Yes, the land of no chewing gum and the cane.

But, if anyone is interested, it is illegal here to attempt suicide too (Big surprise). Even if your suicide attempt is successful, the body is handcuffed, and this is a rumour, but the body is flogged.

And in Singapore, record numbers of people commit suicide everyday coz we have so many high rise buildings. MAny people have witnessed suicides and it is really scary. They look out of their window and what do you know, a body free falling 30 storeys.

Oh, if the suicide is not successful, you get charged and I guess you go to jail. Or probably, the mental institution. It's incredibly sad the number of young Singaporeans who commit suicide. In a study done recently, one out of every 3 CHILDREN has entertained thoughts of suicide. And we are talking 9, 10 yr old kids. The wonders of the education system.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.