Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Stigma and Mental Illness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stigma and Mental Illness
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
electrashock said:
I decided to ask you this because I feel embarrassed to ask anyone in person...

In June of this year I had a kind of nervous breakdown and was sent to a
psych facility (mental hospital) as treatment. I've been put on several
different antidepressants and to tell you the truth, I feel like a whole
different,better person now. Unfortunately, I still get labeled "the crazy
girl" and "the psycho chick" at school. some people call me a schizo to my
face, even though i'm just manic-depressive. and that really prevents me from
getting into relationships. i think the guys at school are afraid of me. i'm
really lonely. how do i overcome this?
thank you so much in advance...my friends have told me they got good advice
from here so i'm hoping i'll get the same

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 11-20-2000).]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Cleese is bipolar, I believe.
He's one of the funniest guys on the planet, if you ask me.

I'd say the guys you're dealing with are rather shallow.

I think one thing you can learn from this is that you are you. Are you able to look at yourself and see something of value?

I've never been treated for any psychological condition. I'd surmise that I have some form of bipolar disorder, as well.

I see it as a blessing and a curse. The curse is obvious - depression and mood instability. The blessing? I have a creative streak in me that I think is related to the bipolar part of me.

For instance, I tend to write bizarre, off-beat humour. I tend to have an unusual perspective on problems, that lets me produce more creative and innovative solutions. In my opinion, I have greater experience with my own mind than most other people - I've had to deal with things they have not.

I'd say I'm a stronger and more capable person because of it all.

The only advice I can offer you is to look inside yourself and find what it is that you value - then realise that whatever they say, you are someone special.

------------------
Armistice, deicide, timbre, ineluctable, salacious.
All these words can be yours! Purchase a Dictionary™ today!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. Firstly, what I would suggest to you is be proud of who you are. You have suffered through something and became a stronger person because of it. I always say that of course I would have loved to not have an anxiety disorder but I did learn things that I don't think I could've gotten from anywhere else. That point in my life happened to be one of the times where I was absolutely in touch with myself. If you can get past the fact that you had a rough time, then eventually others will too. Be confident, be who you are, and don't let anyone try to change you or bring you down. Another great quote by my fave (Dr. Seuss) once said "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter"

Give it time hun, things will get better. A lot of us girls are in the same situation and haven't had to go through manic depression...there are a lot of things that people feel just as insecure about (even if your not feeling insecure...what i mean is something people have to gossip about) Just take it easy girlie and have a good time...don't worry about other people, they'll come around and if they don't they don't matter!!

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to be called gothic, a lot. All the time. Gothic and Flower Child. I was depressed, I was a cutter, I'm already pretty pale and I only slept a few hours a night making me have dark circles under my eyes. Add that to dark brown hair and some mascara and people think you're gothic. And I'm everything but.

Now two years later no one really remembers that part of my life except my close friends that I've known for years. The best thing to do about your friendship situation/boy situation is to just find people you can click with, and then click. If you have a gothic, punk, skater scene at all at your school check it out. I'm checking it out right now and even though a lot of them are cutters, and a lot of them are clinically depressed, most of the time they're happy. And it's so nice to be able to talk about your therapist and stuff without people giving you weird looks. They support me with my recovery and I talk to them about what they're going through.

Don't worry darling, just be happy that you are here today and you are alive and you got through your "breakdown" you're strong, never forget that.

Brittany

------------------
I'm so sexy it's almost evil

"...a ready supply of playdough that anyone can create the stuff of their dreams from" - Mz S

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can someone so damn funky be depressed!

------------------
Armistice, deicide, timbre, ineluctable, salacious.
All these words can be yours! Purchase a Dictionary™ today!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.