Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Depression sufferers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Depression sufferers
ashchris
Neophyte
Member # 1336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ashchris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 13, and sometimes I suffer extreme depression and anger, and most of all, hatred of myself. But, then I go into my basement, and start working out. I know that I shouldn't harm my body, so I work out. Then I go on here, talk to all of you. Then, the next day, I'm usually feeling lucky, after burning off my depression, and get flirty with girls, and guess what! Sometimes it works! =)
Good Luck y'all!

------------------
13, male.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
r u sure its depression and not just low self esteem? ive been clinically depressed many times, and it keeps coming back ( i refuse any drugs). usually depression lasts for at least a few weeks.
but im glad u feel so good, i wish i could do that. more power to u!!

------------------
u arent worthless if you can make someone laugh
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ashchris
Neophyte
Member # 1336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ashchris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both I think... Hope ya get better, bud...

------------------
13, male.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh haha, im fine right now. i find humor keeps me up..and i always find humor in myself

------------------

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had chronic depression for as long as I can remember, and instead of trying to find a 'cure' I deal with it as it is, and as best as I can.. even though that involves medication (20mg Prozac a day)..
Sometimes you're dealt the bad cards in life, but everything is there for a purpose, put it to good use, and help other to relate their own lives to yours, even if it proves to them that things aren't that bad..
Don't give up on yourself, ever.. there's always a tomorrow to look forward to..

entropie/honeylaser

------------------
honeylaser's site

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My depression goes up and down for like, the last three years. Although I haven't been depressed since last Christmas-time. Although I have to say I have bad coping skills. Even though I won the Coping Skills Game with my therapist! Oh yeah. But my way of coping is self mutilation. Haven't had any bad attacks since last Christmas (last Christmas is when I started seeing my therapist, although I stopped after like 5 weeks). Had two episodes though. But other than that I'm happy.

I have to say I've always worked out, I dance I lift weights and do yoga, I meditate I draw I write I do everything and I still had to SM myself. Guess because I was already doing so many coping skills that was all that was left.

Brittany

------------------
Dude, just smile and pass the zen margaritas...

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't think i'm clinically-depressed, but it seems i have some "spells" that last anywhere from a week to a 3 months where i just want to withdraw from everything and everyone and make the world go away. i feel like i completely lose the will to live (no, i wouldn't kill myself, but if i were to die, it wouldn't really surprise me). i sleep a lot, too.

one of these spells started this week, and i am just so out of it.

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

that sounds EXACTLY like clinical depression.

------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's not like an extreme sort of gloominess. i just feel withdrawn, irritible or belligerent (i almost hit someone today in class because she put her feet on the back of my chair). it always figured i was a bit under the weather. or stressed from school. or something hormonal. it's not a frequent thing; i haven't felt down in almost 7 months.

------------------

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get depressed sometimes.

Mainly because of exhaustion/sleep deprivation, and low blood sugar. Loneliness is a key factor. Alcohol can also trigger it - when I start to slip towards the "down" side of things.

But then, I've been depressed when I've been with a dozen good friends.

Recently I started a temp job in a field completely unlike what I've worked in before. Its weird - answering phones, QA work, and managing an office gives me a sense of responsibility, esteem, and confidence.

And yet...getting honours in one of the hardest degrees in the country didn't! hehe

Oh well...humans are odd creatures. And I'm odder than most.

------------------
Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice
Crazy like a shoehorn, bay-be!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misty
Neophyte
Member # 539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depression has been a part of my life for numerous years now,after being raped (and becoming pregnant from it) having an abortion etc it only seemed reasonable that I fell into depression (as I look back on it now) SI (self injury) seemed to follow right along with it all, someday maybe it all wil will just go away..
Posts: 18 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

oh misty honey, im so sorry.
i kno depression is horrible, and being in ur shoes makes it even worse. please, please dont hurt urself in any way. ur a decent person (im sure) and u deserve the best life u can have. get better hun

------------------

StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've definitely dealt with depression, it's not fun. It first hit me after I had a miscarriage in 1997, all I wanted to do was sleep, I stayed in my room, cried all the time, withdrew from everything. Some how I got out myself, I always do, so far no doctors but when I start feeling like it's not gonna go away I think about getting professional help. I do WANT to be happy, I just have a lot of dissappointments and after awhile it gets hard. I'm doing good now, I've been learning ways to deal better and get through. Just knowing *I* can help myself and find some sort of happiness is great, I also have VERY supportive friends.

------------------
}{*Starry*}{
"Healing takes courage and we all have courage. Even if we have to die a little to find it."

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melea
Activist
Member # 1203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I have been so depressed. I cry all the time. It all started a couple of months ago when I really really wanted to have a baby. The idea of having a baby had always been in my mind but not like it is now. I know I'm not ready for a baby. I get so depressed. I cry if I see a baby on tv or at the store. Even when I see my little cousins baby dolls. I wouldnt ever kill myself but sometimes I just wish I would go to sleep and never wake up. I'm always so tired but I dont like to sleep anymore. I have dreams. Not scarry ones. Just dreams about what I wish my life was like. Stuff I know that isnt going to come true any time soon. My mom has a problem with taking medication and it makes her so sleepy. She doesnt do it every often. I feel like I'm her mom sometimes. I just dont know what to do. I cant talk to anyone.
Posts: 52 | From: Celeste,Tx,USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melea, honey, you've talked to us. Thanks. Keep talking - we will be here for you...

(by the way, everything you're saying is consistent with clinical depression. don't be so hard on yourself. you sound like you're under a lot of stress from your mother, and that's probably not making things any better.)

big hugs.

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melea
Activist
Member # 1203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much.

There are so many more problems I have involving my family. First of all I am adopted by my aunt and uncle. My mother went to jail the day I went home from the hospital. She tried to get me back a couple of months later but my aunt knew that being with her was no place to bring up a child.

The only real thing I remember about kindergarden and first grade is my parents going to court. Still to this day they dont pay any money like they should and wont let me change my last name.

My uncle (who I call dad) doesnt really get involved with my life that much. Right now I'm trying to get my GED. I was in homeschool but no one could teach me the stuff I didnt understand. My parents didnt understand any of the work. I was in public school but I missed too many days. I was sick all the time. I had doctors notes but the school said they were going to fail me.

All my friends are guys right now. And at least once a week my b/f, who is also my best friend, tells me that some guy said that he had sex with me. Guys I have never heard of. It doesnt really bother me that much. I just feel sorry for my b/f. Everyone from his school knows me as the slut from celeste. Well not everyone but alot of people.

I have tried to get help but the doc. told me that I was fine. That I just needed to get into sports or something.

As you can see I do have problems but I guess thats just a part of life that has become second nature to me.

Thanks for listening to me.

------------------
~*Melea*~

Hugs and Kisses forever and always. xoxoxo

Posts: 52 | From: Celeste,Tx,USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okie ... i have a question.

I was/am depressed as well (i dunno which one, maybe a bit of both ... i'm trying to get better, i think) ... What is the difference b/w chronic and clinically depression? My mom has told me that i've been like this since i was a little girl, but i have no proof of that ... not that i think she would lie, just that it's a matter of opinion. Can anyone help me out?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LilBlueSmurf --

Clinical depression is the official medical term for the mood disorder that is depression (incidentally, if you're interested, you can find the criteria at http://members.aol.com/faery116/dsm.html ). Chronic depression -- which is, to the best of my knowledge, not an official term for a condition -- is merely a name for depression that has gone on for a long time. It is a characteristic of some sorts of clinicial depression.

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

moreover, to be diagnosed as "clinically depressed" you have to show the "chronic" symptoms of depression for at least a 6 month period.

------------------

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Gumdrop, hon, I'm looking at the DSM-IV at the moment, and it's a two week period.

just to clarify.

~lem

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skittles
Activist
Member # 1600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skittles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.feelingblue.com is a good site about depression. It has a test you can take if you think you are depressed, to give your doctor an idea.

Just a thought!

------------------
Peace, love, empathy
Melissa

Posts: 68 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wandering stranger
Neophyte
Member # 1761

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wandering stranger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, i'm new here and I just read this topic and watned to say thanx to everybody who put such good info in! and thanx for the links 2 those 2 sites..
i've been depressed for about 8 months now. not "officially" but I really don't think a dr's diagnosis changes thigns very much. I get into moods where I convince myself that everybody hates me and that they only talk to me cuz they have to and stuff like that. And I cuz myself once, but i managed to tell my friend and promised i wouldn't do it again, and i have kept that promise because she is one of the few people who I still feel cares about me. But anyway, if anybody wants to talk to me my email is littleshortie65@excite.com

------------------
Don't complain about growing old, because so many never get the chance.
*Kriss*

Posts: 3 | From: somewhere over the rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misty
Neophyte
Member # 539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone ever wished that they could just disapear, even if just for awhile..to become completly invisible?
Posts: 18 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tigress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never felt like this, well to this extreme, before. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I know I haven't been myself for a very long time. I'm even forgetting who I used to be. This year school is getting harder. A lot of people who were my good friends last year don't talk to me anymore, I don't know why. I've only got two friends at school whom I trust. One of them being my boyfriend, and our relationship is constantly on the rocks thus adding to the sorrow I feel. The second being my best friend, but she seems to have better things to do than talk to me, and next year she may be changing schools in which case I will only have one friend if my boyfriend and I even stay together. If we don't, I'll have no one. My mom always tells me that people care about me, but I don't believe it. Things have been really hard at home since my grandmother died. My parents have been ignoring me, and I realize they are going through a hard time, but so am I. You would think we'd share together, but no my mom just walks around all sad and dosen't pay me much mind. My boyfriend, he is so weird. Somedays he'll be really sweet to me and just wonderful. Other days I just want to die because of how horrible he acts. I love him so much and I couldn't see myself without him. Everything is so confusing. I hate going to school because I hate seeing all the other happy people. They make me sick with envy because I can't be beautiful or popular or even liked. I don't know I'm just rambling on...
Posts: 119 | From: SoRoa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had clinical depression for almost 5 years now. In that time I've been on three different anti-depressents, no matter how much I didn't want to mask my emotions with pills. Now my doctor is talking about reducing my dose, but I feel like everything is going good now, so why should I stop so it can fall apart again?

I started out on Prozac, which I loathe (stomachache anyone?) then went on to Cipramil, until my doctor decided to put me on something stronger. Now I'm on 300mg of Effexor XR. It's great. It doesn't make me feel sick or lose it's eectiveness over time. Besides, I'm too scared of losing the lie I have now to leave it.

Don't et me wrong, it isn't a "miracle drug", going from highschool to college has as much to do with my happiness as the drugs. I still have bad days.

Now I've finished school for the year, I don't have anything to motivate me - I sleep all day and go on the internet all night. I guess the dream is over, in a sense.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, I just need to let it out I think.

Any suggestions from those who have recovered?

Hugs & Scully,
Winnie :0)

------------------
"Gillian Anderson and Annabeth Gish - the ultimate sandwich"

Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bradhadair
Neophyte
Member # 11202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bradhadair     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had depression last year and I even tried to kill myself, but I met some supermates (luv ya guyz) and got into my guitar, keyboard and songwriting, since then it all stopped and my life really picked up. Now I feel great just waking up and seeing the people around me who care, and that keeps me happy!

------------------
'To the world someone is just a person, but to a person, someone is the world!'

Posts: 10 | From: Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShelteredGirl
Neophyte
Member # 11308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShelteredGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think i have symptoms of depression, but i dont know anyone to talk to. i dont have any good friends and i would never go to my parents since they dont care. who can i talk to?
Posts: 2 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any teachers at school you are comfortable talking to? Guidance counselors? If you're a part of a religious or other community consider talking to someone you trust there.

While it may not seem like it there are likely many people in your life who would be more than willing to help you out.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coldplayer
Activist
Member # 12431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coldplayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i get depressed a lot recently. nothing serious has to happen, serious things happen in my life, but sometimes something not too bad just sets it off. i cant snap out of it for ages, days, weeks even. what kind of depression is that?
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterflywings
Neophyte
Member # 12455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for butterflywings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i always find seeing how many other depressed people there are around me makes me feel even worse. so i'm not going to read this entire thread. i've been having a good day and maybe im selfish but i dont want to ruin it! some people say it's good to know you're not alone, but i hate to think that other people have to suffer like this too.

but to the point... i think the best thing to do is talk to someone you really trust. (i'm being a bit hypocritical here, i must admit. i'm always too afraid to talk to anyone face to face.) so if you're like me, and can't talk to anyone, find just one thing that can keep you going. it may be a hobby or sport, although i find that when i get really depressed i can't focus on anything.
so my 'keep-me-going' thing is pain. believe it or not. i hate hurting other people. i can't stand it when other people are in pain. i would be so upset if i knew that i had caused someone the type of pain i feel. so, although i don't always believe it, someone out there would be sad if i died. and that's why i'm still here after keeping it all in for 7 years.
(by the way, i'm not even 15. but please don't say how i feel is normal teen angst. you don't know the half of it. if my depression is normal, then what's the point of hoping for something better? i'm only adding this because i've read a few posts here where people jump to conclusions about the writer.)

so please! please! please!! find the thing that will keep you going even during the darkest, loneliest night!

Posts: 9 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coldplayer
Activist
Member # 12431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coldplayer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i do try, really i do. i came home from school yesterday feeling so down and couldnt face it today. i'm nearly 15 and agree its not teen hormones i'm going through. but i cant find something to keep me happy, my ex-boyfriend did i guess but he dumped me cause his mates told him to and i cant really think happy thoughts anymore. i know its really sad to get all upset over a guy, but he was the only thing in my life keeping me happy, so i dunno what to do now...
Posts: 68 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coldplayer
Activist
Member # 12431

i do try, really i do. i came home from school yesterday feeling so down and couldnt face it today. i'm nearly 15 and agree its not teen hormones i'm going through. but i cant find something to keep me happy, my ex-boyfriend did i guess but he dumped me cause his mates told him to and i cant really think happy thoughts anymore. i know its really sad to get all upset over a guy, but he was the only thing in my life keeping me happy, so i dunno what to do now...

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.