Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » worried about school sched.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: worried about school sched.
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i got my school shedule and i literally have classes with NONE of my friends. I'm not so upset about that, but I am worried about lunch. I'm not gonna just go sit with some older kids (im in 10th grade) and I can't be by myself ...I'll look like such an idiot. Has this ever happened to anyone and what did you do?
Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is hard to do, but anyone can do it - Sit by yourself. Don't read a book. Just sit and exude confidence and eat your lunch.

In my experience, you will very soon have a tablefull of people who might become good friends. In the worst case, no one will sit with you - but confidence is, as the commercial says, very sexy.

In the same vein - find a group of people that have an empty seat at their table, and ask if you can sit.

"A stranger's just a friend you haven't met."

------------------
~lemming

"There's only now, there's only this/Forget regret or life is yours to miss/No other road, no other way/No day but today..."~"Mimi" in "Another Day," from RENT, by Jonathan Larson

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*BTW, forgot to mention - I just moved off to college. I don't know anyone here, really. But at every meal, I either sit with someone I don't know or sit alone, and I've been meeting lots of people! Historically, for survival, eating is connected as a social activity.*
Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't really worry about it. You'll meet new people and make more friends by the end of the week. You'll have new lunch buddies in no time. School started last monday, I'm a senior and I have no classes with my friends accept english AP and psych AP. My other 2 classes for this semester are calc AP and spanish 3... none of my friends are in there (they all passed the classes the first time they took them, I'm an idiot ), it's mainly juniors. I'm kinda glad I have these classes because the juniors aren't half bad, considering that I'm in this special program (IB) where I've been with the same 70 people for the last 3 years. I don't have lunch with any of my close friends either, but no biggie.

Meet the new people in your classes, you'll be surprised by all the nice people you meet. Of course there'll be the occasional jerk who thinks their too far up the food chain or something, but no one likes them anyway . Branch out, sticking with the same old people isn't all that great either. I've learned that from experience... something goes wrong in your group of friends and guess what? You have no friends. It really isn't that bad spending time by yourself. I sometimes prefer it over hanging out with a group of people. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by SlowCookie (edited September 04, 2000).]

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks a lot lemming....you're so right! (c:
Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we had the same friends and acquaintances from birth until death, we sure wouldn't grow an awful lot.

Consider it a golden opportunity, as lemming said.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, in order to move on from my old friends, I'm not supposed to kill them?

Uh oh...this is gonna take a lot of explaining away...

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.