Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Support Groups » Anyone ever been tested for HIV?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone ever been tested for HIV?
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was at my prenatal doctor the other day, and he asked me to volunteer my blood for an optional HIV test.

At the time, I really thought nothing of it, and agreed.

But now that I've had a little time to think about it... It scares me, the fact that I might be infected with a life-threatening illness... and that I might have passed it on to others, not to mention my baby.

Has anyone ever gone through this? I'm feeling kind of upset over this.

------------------
where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been tested a bunch of times at this point. Being tested never made me more scared, it usually made me less so, because it's a threat whether you get tested or not.

If you've practiced safe sex every time you've had sex, you don't do intraveneous drugs (or when and if you did you always used clean needles), nor did you have blood transfusions over ten years ago, you're most likely going to get a negative result. I feel confident saying that based on everything I know objectively, as well as my own subjective experience. if you haven't taken those precautions, you're right, there is a good reason to feel scared. It IS scary.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you, nancy. Hang in there.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was also tested for HIV at my first prenatal visit back in January. I didn't sleep for the week that it took them to get back to me with the results! I was so relieved when it came back negative. To try and make you feel better, read this:
http://bayloraids.org/resources/pedaids/prevention.shtml

It states that there are drugs that can be given to an HIV-positive woman who is pregnant that greatly decrease the chances of transmission to her fetus. Around 8% of the women who got the drug passed HIV on to their babies, and 25% of the women that did not get the drug passed it on. So even if it turns out you do have HIV, knock wood, there is a pretty slim chance that you will pass it onto your baby if you get this type of treatment.

Hope I've helped!

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gingerpye
Neophyte
Member # 1235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gingerpye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to be tested for HIV because I have received blood products in the past during surgery, in addition to having unprotected sex with someone I didn't really know. Sure, I was paranoid about "what if..." But everything was fine. I dont recall being tested for HIV during my prenatal visits 2 years ago, i just went to planned parenthood on my own for it.
Posts: 3 | From: michigan | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get HIV tested so often I don't even remember how often it is -- I often do appearances at local GLBT and sexuality-related events, and there are usually HIV testing stations at those kinds of events around Boston, where I live. I usually will get together a bunch of folks who want to get tested but are scared, and we'll all go get tested together. It's a really good way to do it, if you can. Gives you someone to talk to about your fears, and makes you feel much less alone.

I also get a full STD screen from my GYN once a year, just to be on the safe side.

It's scary at first, but it's much better to know than not know.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Hanne I get tested often. I am happy to do so becasue it gives me peace of mind. I hate them taking my blood, but the technician at the clinic where I go is very nice. She talks me through it and makes me feel comfortable. I would rather know what is my status, than not know.
Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you hate having blood taken you might want to ask about oral testing. At the Planned Parenthood near me they do it all the time. They just put a little salty thing on the end of a stick into your mouth, it sits there for 2 minutes and collects cheek cells. It's very simple and absolutely painless. I wish I had known about it when I went with my exgirlfriend for her to get tested. She was hysterical because she hates needles which aggravates the whole HIV test fear so much more. I think going with a friend probably helps a lot. I went alone for my first HIV test and I was fine. I have finally convinced my bestfriend that she needs to go to the gyn and I am going with her.
Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's nothing to do with needles, It's more the anticipation of the results.

I won't find out until the 26th what all the results to my tests are, and i'm just worried about it.

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever your results Nancy, we are here for your support.

*hugs*

[This message has been edited by bettie (edited 26 September 2000).]

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got tested yesterday. I was at the doctor for what turned out to be a yeast infection, but she and I decided to run a pretty complete STD screen just in case.

Since they were drawing blood anyways, I decided that it was a good idea to do it now instead of going to one of the anonymous testing sessions that my school sponsors every few weeks.

So I have to wait two weeks, and go in and see my doctor for the results (the rest I can just call for), which is a little unnerving, but I can deal.

In a lot of ways having testing like this done reassures me; if there's something wrong, I will know so I can do something about it. If it comes back with nothing wrong, I'm reassured that I am okay for the time being. (It doesn't make me decide that safer sex is now for other people, though.)

Then again, I'm a real worrier, so I'm sure I'll worry either way.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

good news, everyone! The test came back negative... and my baby doesn't have Down Syndrome or an Open Neural Tube defect!

yay! it was a good day for me, yesterday!

------------------
where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Wonderful news!!!!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.