Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » My school has terrible sex-ed/other policies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My school has terrible sex-ed/other policies
EauDbedroomDancing
Neophyte
Member # 70608

Icon 13 posted      Profile for EauDbedroomDancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a senior at a high school in Reseda, CA. I just started taking health on Monday, and I got put in a class of all 9th graders by mistake (yikes!) My teacher, does absolutely NOTHING. He sells greasy snack foods in the back of the class (and this is "health"). And shows us movies. Today he showed us 15 and Pregnant. I'm not sure what you guys think of this movie...but everything about it angers me. There are so many pro-life messages in it, and it basically teaches us that sex is wrong and will only get you into trouble. And to make things worse, I can hear all the kids around me saying things like "Oh yeah what a whore". or "Abortions are disgusting, you shouldn't kill your baby for being a whore".

It's a rather unpleasant environment for me to sit in. I went to the teacher after class and told him how I felt about the movie, and that maybe we should actually discuss these things in class because of what the kids were saying. He just looked at me and said "No". Today I mentioned to him that we should learn sex ed that is also relevant to the LGBTQ community. Although I am heterosexual, I still believe this is important information, and no one should be excluded from being taught how to practice safe sex. Once again, he just stared at me (with disgust this time) and said "We don't teach that stuff here."

I'm so furious! And my school charges money for pads and tampons. On one occasion I got my period at school, and I wasn't prepared. I went to my school nurse and she tried to charge me 3 dollars for a pad. I told her I didn't have the money, and she refused to help me out. I had to go home and miss the rest of the school day because I couldn't get a pad at school.

I know this is such a long rant but my school is terrible. It's not a safe environment for minorities, women, and members of the LGBTQ community. I haven't even begun to list all the stupid things that go on here. I'm tired of having to fight my school's administration AND my teachers daily. We need change. Does anyone else go to a school that has very similar problems?

--------------------
"My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day..."

Posts: 34 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! Sounds like some people could afford to walk a mile in someone else's shoes.
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's beyond disgusting about the pads, and the rest. It's like they're brainwashing young people into misogyny. As for selling the snacks - it looks like he's just trying to get the young people on his side. That's what my anti-choice teacher did - made tons of jokes about water pistols then gave us an anti-choice lesson. They know popular teachers can brainwash more easily.

Something definately needs to be done about the pads though.

--------------------
'Obtain the virgin's consent before you marry her' - Prophet Mohammad (pbuh)

Posts: 1285 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.