Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sociocultural stuff - attraction dynamics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sociocultural stuff - attraction dynamics
kitkatbits
Neophyte
Member # 45431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkatbits     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

One thing that I've noticed on various online dating sites is people (often able-bodied) liking me for my disabilities.

This list of questions is how much it annoys me:

• do they like me for me and not for who they want me to be?
  • do they know why they have these desires? (read; analysis of them)
  • are they willing to learn to bend to these disabilities?
  • do they understand that they have more power than I do in this world?
  • do they advocate for disabled people and fight for their equality?

(I don't think most would pass these questions)

Your thoughts?

[ 01-10-2012, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: kitkatbits ]

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I hear you talking about tokenism here. Would you agree?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkatbits
Neophyte
Member # 45431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkatbits     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tokenism? Didnt know it was that. Explain?
Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure.

Tokenism is basically when someone, or a group of someones, basically sees or treats someone else as representative of a given thing they represent like race, sexual orientation, or a disability. I think the simplest way of thinking about it is when someone is not really seeing a whole person, or seeing someone as a whole person but seeing them as this thing they represent.

Someone who interned for us once wrote something that speaks to some of this you might find useful: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/coffeeforkatya?page=2 She uses the word fetishism, though that's not really a sound use of that term, since fetishism is about objects, not people. However, if people are being seen or treated like objects, like tokenism, fetishism does kind of make sense in this context.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkatbits
Neophyte
Member # 45431

Makes sense Heather, you're right.

How can I combat this?

Heather
Member # 3

Do you mean just in your personal life, or in a bigger way?

I mean, with the bigger way, I think, from my sense of you, you are already doing a lot: you seem to speak out around disability issues and activism online pretty well, so that's certainly a great start.

With your persona life, you know, I don't know about you, but if and when I feel like someone is tokenizing me in some way, or making me into some kind of fetish object, I basically voice my feelings and then tend to choose not to be involved with them. You certainly can make different choices, but I think that's probably going to have a lot to do with how much time and energy you want to invest in educating people about something that's obviously going to have a very personal impact on you and can get pretty tiresome, especially when it's not something you're doing as a job or volunteer gig, you know?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.