Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Lies, Ignorance, Filth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lies, Ignorance, Filth
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My health teacher (who happens to support abstinence-only "education") has brought in guest speakers to lie to us even more! I'll spare you a lot of the details, but here's the brunt of what the system spewed at me (and everyone else) today:

*To represent how much weight teenage mothers gain during pregnancy, the speakers put at least 27 pounds (~12 kgs. for international readers) worth of stuff into backpacks... didn't quite see where they were going with that [Confused]

*When the health teacher told me beforehand that there are certain dangers and health risks associated with *all* sexual activity (or any sort of physically intimate relationship), I said "I would rather shoot myself up with morphine than have to give up love (*protected* sex included)!" That, for me, is a personal trigger...

*They taped my arm to the arm of another girl to show what an average relationship is like. I didn't quite enjoy that.

*They took out boxes representing what you should be like on your wedding day. One box (perfectly mint) showed what you should be: abstinent until you are married. The other box (completely destroyed) showed what you shouldn't be: having sex with a bunch of girls that you are dating. (keep in mind that this is ignorance talking!)

*They even lied about birth control methods (such as the pill, condoms, etc.), saying that condoms have little tiny holes that you can't see, but they are just large enough for sperm to fit through, and also said that girls can still get pregnant even while they are on the pill. I think that this is a bunch of B.S.. Don't you? Cause I don't think that condom manufacturers intentionally put microscopic holes in their products just to scare people (I personally think it's a tactic to suppress sexuality).

*They told us, in addition to all the crap we heard, that "the boundary of sex is marriage", and that unless you're married to someone, sex is out of the question. [Mad]

*Several students from my class even resorted to surrounding me and simply telling me "keep it in", "wait until you're married", "just abstain" and a bunch of other B.S.

These kinds of things are what drive me insane, and to think that I almost resorted to doing drugs to make them listen is just... wow. That's how much ignorance in in these people.

Somebody please help me make them listen! [Frown]

-jbf

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were you able to talk to that other teacher yet? If so, what did they say?

Mind, some of what is being said here isn't inaccurate or is sound. For instance, this teacher is right, there ARE certain risks associated with all sexual activity. And yes, pregnant women do gain weight (mind, sounds like they were trying to scare people about fat, which was not cool but still.)

That "Miss Tape" activity is common with abstinence ed, and yes, it's crummy and also based in nothing other than personal beliefs and agendas. Stating sex is for marriage is a religious belief: public schooling is supposed to, constitutionally, not include religious teachings. And no, condoms do not have "tiny holes, (though yes, people can still become pregnant on the pill).

And students in a class surrounding you and chanting things about your sexual choices is harassment. That's one of the creepiest things I have heard in a while.

Point is, you'll need to separate what's valid here from what isn't. You have a lot that is: ditch the issues that are factual or aren't valid.

So, that talk with that teacher: how did it go? What did they suggest? You keep asking for help, but I have suggested several steps already. Have you taken any of them?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67120 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justinbieberfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About that blog post (mention in the first post of my little slew), I decided in favor of posting it, and here's what I think the title should be:

"Lies, Ignorance and Filth: Abstinence-Only Sex Ed and You"

And I may want to add some quotes from some of my posts on this board. Could I?

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Posts: 65 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we get to titles, how about writing the post? Honestly, that's not a title we'd probably suggest, in large part because as you've alreadylearned in the ab-only ed you've been having, strong emotional framing like that around sex education is bad news for a lot of people and tends to obscure the facts. [Smile]

But for sure, get crackin'!

That said, a blog post here isn't likely to change anything for you any time soon. So, I would still strongly suggest you talk to that teacher you mentioned or to your principal. Or at least to your parents.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67120 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saffron Raymie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 49582

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saffron Raymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't tapping people together and saying that it's 'just like being in a relationship' also put them off marriage?

--------------------
~ Saffy
Scarleteen Volunteer

To my Abuser: I'm seeing stars. I bet you can't do that.

Posts: 1265 | From: England | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

Heather, I might be working on it this weekend...

Anyways, today wasn't too harsh, but still:

*I talked to my health teacher all about the harassment, and he felt my pain. He told me that he would take action against anyone who harasses me about me (or my sexuality) again. [Big Grin]

*They had us tell the class about our last *bonafide* sexual experience. I told them that my last sexual experience being my last one for quite a while as we were pretty scared about pregnancy at the time. This is what they called "secondary virginity". (In addition to safe sex, I also believe in waiting for sex until one is ready.)

*They told us at least once that "people who are abstinent (until marriage, NOT until ready) have a wonderful, healthy and prosperous life".

*We played the "Game of Life", but themed towards STD's and pregnancy...

*Last night, after the first day with the guest speakers, I actually contemplated suicide (as ridiculous as that sounds, but it is true) because of all the harassment made by my peers. I thought about crushing up at least six pills (I believe it was acetaminophen) with a meat tenderizer, putting said pills in a glass of water, fruit juice, or a protein shake, mixing it up and drinking it. After the harassment talk with my health teacher, I felt a lot better. [Smile]

I'll be working on the main points of my blog post this weekend. But I might need some suggestions. [Wink]

-jbf

[ 10-19-2011, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: justinbieberfan ]

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Heather
Member # 3

Would that teacher be willing to take action NOW? After all, it did happen already. How about asking?

More importantly, feeling suicidal and contemplating suicide is very serious, and I would strongly advise you tell someone you have been feeling that way. That is not something we have the capacity or resources to help users with or talk with you about. But there are people who can. If you will not tell anyone close to you in person who can make sure you have the care and support you need, please at least call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

justinbieberfan
Activist
Member # 54253

He said that he WOULD take action if it happened again, and he already talked to two of the people that have been harassing me.

--------------------
~Prince of Equestria~

Heather
Member # 3

Maybe you can ask him to take action now, instead? It seems to me that any teacher being informed about harassment like this who did NOT report it to the administration would be being pretty remiss in their responsibilities to students,

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.