Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Vibrators for Minors?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vibrators for Minors?
Kikabella
Neophyte
Member # 70812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kikabella         Edit/Delete Post 
Just recently I went to a mall in New York, with one mission in mind: to get myself a vibrator. I walked into Spencers, (a bit embarassed as I walked into the sex section) and gave the cashier the neon pink, waterproof vibrator in all its plastic-encased glory. But the guy took one look at me, and pushed it back. "Sorry, kid, I can't sell this to you. You gotta be eighteen." Now, I'm fourteen, and see nothing wrong with the fact that I masturbate. It's a healthy, normal activity for someone my age, and when I found out it was illegal for minors to purchase sex toys in New York, I was outraged. Are they implying that it's wrong for young men and women who are under the age of eighteen to pleasure themselves? I don't understand this law, and think it's horrifically unfair.

[ 07-07-2011, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Kikabella ]

--------------------
~Kiki

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard of this law too-I was disgruntled when I turned eighteen because it didn't seem all that different, and a friend of mine and I started tossing comments back and forth. Once I turned eighteen, not only was I finally allowed to buy cigarettes (not that I want to, but I could if I so desired), I can also purchase spray paint, lottery tickets, and shop in an adult store-all things that are forbidden to minors, at least in Idaho and Kansas.
It's ridiculous and unfair, I agree...I think somehow it's thought that if minors get vibrators, it will encourage them to have sex...somehow? I have no idea, because honestly, if the only society-approved way to have sex was with a partner of the opposite gender, there'd be a lot more pregnancies, but I haven't heard of any cases of a vibrator getting someone pregnant.
One of the things that bothers me about this whole situation is that you asked if they're implying that young men and women are not allowed to masturbate...but that isn't true. Young men, as far as I know, don't use vibrators quite as much-so it seems like they're just forbidding women from pleasuring themselves.

Anyhow, basically-I think it's pretty much a nationwide law, and I think it's pretty darn stupid.
Ah! Thank goodness for google.
Apparently in a lot of states the law is not prohibiting minors from *buying* a vibrator, it's prohibiting an adult from *selling* the vibrator to the minor. I think the logic is that apparently adults cannot control themselves and will lecherously offer to help little Susie learn how to use it. Basically, it's considered soliciting sex from a minor to sell them a vibrator, from what I can find. Also, brilliantly enough, Oprah (yes, the amazingly successful woman with a great big talk show and everything...) recommended mothers to give their daughters a vibrator when they're around 15 or so, so that they can explore their sexuality and learn how to please themselves so they don't have to depend on a male/partner for that. And of course she got attacked for it, but.

Ah! http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/troubleshooter&id=5984018 Looks like they cracked down on their policy after a big hullabaloo about them selling those at all. And a perspective on why they're illegal-http://karenrayne.com/2008/08/27/whens-the-right-age-for-a-vibrator-how-about-a-masturbation-sleeve/
Do you have any friends that are old enough to buy something for you? I'm assuming you don't want to say something to your parents and have one of them get it for you, but if that's an option you might try that.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't confirm or deny whether it's illegal for minors to buy sex toys in NY but I do agree that it is unfair and ridiculous for that to be the case. Would you have access to buying a toy online?

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.