Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Legaltes of access to contraception for minors?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legaltes of access to contraception for minors?
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello!

A friend and I had a conversation today about birth control access to minors(she wants to help her younger sister, who s 16, get birth control without parental permission), and I just wanted to verify a few legal issues.

My friend sad that when she was 16, her aunt took her to the doctor to get on the pill, and the clinic actually called her mother and told her that she was trying to get birth control. I'm pretty sure that's not even legal. Isn't that a HIPPA violation (state of Texas), or does it not count since she was 16?

Also, is there anything that could prevent her from being able to take her sister (who is 16) to planned parenthood or something similar?

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There shouldn't be any reason that they couldn’t go to a Planned Parenthood type clinic since she is 16. Any clinic that accepts government funding is mandated to see someone 16 or older without need of parental consent. They should not notify the parents either; as this is not only their policies but a violation of HIPPA (Federal Law) as well. What the other clinic did was wrong. To be on the safe side I would ask the clinic, before making the appointment, and clarify this with them.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for clarifying, that's what I'd thought.

I was just so shocked by the idea of the other clinic calling her mother, that had to ask. I know t was a smaller, rural, and probably more conservative clinic, but you'd sill think they'd be a Little more careful about breaking federal privacy laws...

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, Title X clinics (the type who get that funding, which hopefully won't get cut off like is up for debate in our government right now), are REQUIRED to provide sexual healthcare privately for minors as a stipulation of getting that funding. That includes not notifying parents of anything unless a minor's life is at stake or they have committed a crime.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.