Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » ALL GIRL ARMY - Feminism & Religion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ALL GIRL ARMY - Feminism & Religion
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you checked out the All Girl Army? If not, you should! It's a blogging community for young feminists, aged 10-25, from all imaginable backgrounds.

Things have been a little slow, so for this week's roll call, we're opening up the floor to GUEST BLOGGERS!

Write your own blog entry in response to this week's roll call (found here) and post it as a reply to this Scarleteen thread. The AGA girls will vote on a handful of posts to appear on the front page.

If you're interested in joining the AGA and blogging weekly, we've still got space. Click here to enlist!

Alright, here's a copy of this week's roll call:

quote:
Religion. Feminism. Mutually exclusive, or complimentary? Are religious teachings inherently detrimental to feminism, or is it only the way they are practiced? How do those of us who are religious consolidate religious history with modern practice? What about those of us who are proud atheists: is your atheism entwined with your feminism? What about those of us who practice Eastern philosophies, like Buddhism and Tao?

When writing this blog, focus on your OWN personal life and experiences. Tell us about your experiences at home, in school, in your community, and within yourself. This is a powerful topic, with plenty to draw on.

Please include in your post what name you would like your post to appear under. Bear in mind that your post cannot contain any personal, identifying information, such as school name or location. If you are under 13, you will need to submit a signed permission slip from a legal guardian (which we will provide) before your blog post can be displayed.
Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigfarty
Activist
Member # 49263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigfarty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a christian and words cannot express how much agony and misery it causes me everyday. I am torn between what I think is right and being punished eternally in hell. According to the Bible feminism and christianity are not compatible and I struggle with this everyday. [Frown] !
Posts: 48 | From: my house | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Want to talk about this? Because I know the Bible doesn't mention feminism at all, just like it doesn't mention cars or airplanes: feminism wasn't around when it was written, which is why it isn't addressed in there at all.

There are plenty of Christian feminists out and about in the world. As well, your religion is your choice, so if a given one isn't working for you, you always have the option of not participating in it and seeking out or developing a belief system that doesn't put you in constant agony like you're expressing.

[ 05-02-2011, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigfarty
Activist
Member # 49263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigfarty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just feel sad because of the way my father treats my mom and theres nothing she can do according to the bible the man is the "king of the castle" and it is in the bible that a woman should obey her husband in all things and divorce is always wrong no matter what. The Bible is full of double standards and it is the root of double standards about virginity and condones polygamy For me I see so many women suffering and I feel I cant help them because the bible DOES say that men are in control. For me I cant just say I dont believe in gravity because I dont agree with it. You jump of a building gravity will kill you whether you believe in it or not. Thats how I feel about christianity its an inescapable fact and I have had some experiences that support it.
Posts: 48 | From: my house | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that there are certainly plenty of things in the Bible which support those views, but there are also plenty of things that don't. To boot, how someone interprets the Bible really varies quite a lot. I know some Christians and ministers who would very much disagree that according to their reading of the Bible, maltreating women is acceptable.

But I hear you saying you really don't feel at all okay about this religion. So, have you looked into others, or looked into just not having one at all? You don't have to subscribe to something you don't believe in, after all, or which you feel is negative and supports or enables things you find unacceptable.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigfarty
Activist
Member # 49263

Thanks for trying to help [Smile] ! Its a little tough to swallow for me but I do believe in christianity 100 percent and as I mentioned not believing in something doesnt make it untrue. I really believe that if you dont follow the bible you could go to hell and I really wouldnt want to risk it. Im just going to do my best even though it doesnt necassarily make me the worlds happiest person atleast I feel like I did what I could not to burn eternally. ( sorry if I sound harsh or like a fanatic! Im not I just have had some really freaky supernatural experiences in my life proving christianity)
Heather
Member # 3

Ever read a book like this one?

Or look into a denomination that is more feminist?

I respect everyone's choices in religious beliefs when they don't try and force them on other people, so no need to defend yours or worry about how you appear in both having those beliefs or questioning them.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

bigfarty
Activist
Member # 49263

Thanks for the book suggestion I'll definitely look into it. I dont really have a denomination I'm a freelance christian I guess?
Heather
Member # 3

Considering Jesus was basically a freelance Jew, that seems pretty appropriate. [Wink]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I strongly encourage you to check out UCC churches - the United Church of Christ? They are a Protestant Christian denomination, as their name suggests, and also progressive. The tagline is "no matter who you are, or where you are on life's journey, you are welcome here." Some of my best friends and greatest sources of inspiration are UCC minister friends of mine. Their website is http://ucc.org/ and if you find a congregation near you I bet the minister would be more than happy to meet with you if you wanted to, to talk about religion and feminism and all of that kind of stuff. Ministers have "office hours" during the week that are specifically there to meet with congregants, potential congregants, and people in the community so you wouldn't be taking any time "away" from the minister if that's something that worries you.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you looking for submissions from female-identified people only? I definitely have stuff to say but I ID as transmasculine genderqueer.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CougarBite
Neophyte
Member # 53267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CougarBite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to be religious and be anywhere on the spectrum of sexuality. I can not remember precise quotes but you have to take the old testament at face value as "what ever is considered law on earth will be in heaven" which is a little tricky due to local laws.

Also just after about not being gay it does say not to eat pork or to wear "mix" fabrics (ie nearly most modern day clothing). I researched alot of religions to find a right one I was United Reformed for a while (like CoE but smaller) In the end I decided I was a "spiritualist" believing in something better but turning away from organised religions.

--------------------
Cougar Clark

Posts: 22 | From: England | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.