Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Gendered language and pro-choice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gendered language and pro-choice
astrocyte
Activist
Member # 29128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astrocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

I recently saw this thread, where the OP had received a telling-off for using "male-bodied person" rather than "man" in a discussion about pregnancy - the objection was along the lines of "that's objectifying to men!".

I'm glad that question was resolved and that everyone agreed that the teller-offer was a massive bigot! I didn't want to take over that thread, but if anyone has time I would like some further suggestions/discussion around language to use when you're talking about things like pregnancy.

For some context, I'm part of a pro-choice activist group and we're creating some written materials to distribute. The thing being worked on right now is a pamphlet outlining the problems with this country's current abortion access and regulation. It's pretty brief. We are struggling a bit with using gender-inclusive language. particularly in something of this length.

We can all agree that we won't say stuff that is clearly alienating, like "men can't get pregnant". But when making general statements, sometimes it sounds really clumsy to replace "women" with "pregnant people" every single time. I'm working on other ways to do this, and I should get over it - I just wanna make sure that whatever we write is easily comprehensible. But others are a bit worried about making it so open that the systemic issues are erased, and I see their point. Like, this particular issue of reproductive freedom IS something that primarily affects women, and the crappy mainstream perception is that womens' bodies are bodies to be controlled, and this is not a coincidence.

Someone also raised the point that we shouldn't put out anything that could be construed as giving others the same rights as the person carrying a pregnancy - often couples say "we're pregnant! OMG!". It would totally suck if some pro-lifers interpreted phrases like "the pregnant person is in the best position to make choices about the outcome of the pregnancy and must have autonomy" to mean "the father counts as part of the pregnancy too and should have the same power to make decisions".

Anyways, ideas/critiques would be welcomed. I don't mean to present this like it is a zero-sum game. I'm quite sure it is possible to be both inclusive AND analytical. I'm just not sure how much to push either goal in a short-ish piece.

Posts: 79 | From: the southern hemisphere | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astrocyte
Activist
Member # 29128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astrocyte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woops. I think I broke the link to the thread I was talking about. This one, if you're interested:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/25/t/000444/p/1.html#000014

Posts: 79 | From: the southern hemisphere | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moviegeek
Neophyte
Member # 53094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moviegeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting discussion!

Could you replace "women" with "females"? It's more specific, even though people who've gone through sex reassignment surgery would still be grouped under that. But it would exclude males who identify their genders as female.

Posts: 15 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astrocyte
Activist
Member # 29128

Hmm - I'm not sure. I imagine that some trans men would probably resent being grouped under the category of "females" just as much as they would "women". And I'm not actually sure that "female" refers explicitly to sex characterstics/chromosomes and not gender, so I don't even know that it would exclude trans women. Ugh, maybe I should just say "people with uteruses"!
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rosegeranium:
Ugh, maybe I should just say "people with uteruses"!

That may be your best bet, at least until and unless they find a way that someone without a uterus can gestate a fetus inside their own body.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.