Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Um...what's going on here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Um...what's going on here?
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really, really hope this is a coincidence, but I'm starting to think it isn't. I entered "lesbian" in the search box of my library's website, selected to search for *books and *items at my specific library. There's a total of 56 items marked as lesbian. When I narrow it down by using the search that's restricted to YA and children's, I end up with 19. 14 of those YA and children's books are fiction-good fiction, I know, as I've read a couple of them, but fiction nonetheless. And the other 5, the non-fiction stories about coming out? Withdraw Weeded. Which I plan to ask the Info Desk people about(all of whom I know by name, and am great friends with) when I go in to volunteer.

I looked through the other books, and it ends up that every book that offers advice, support and assistance to a teen who is out, waiting to come out, or questioning, was weeded. Anything that's just stories about teens who came out, or such, was left.
I am displeased. I am a person who loves libraries. I was raised with libraries. I've been volunteering at them since I was 12, and depending on books since I was much younger than that. I am the sort of person who was bottle-fed books as a child, and it has instilled a love and desire to read for whatever knowledge I need. And then I find that my library, the one place where I feel the most comfortable...argh. I really, really...ugh. I can't believe this. The few fiction stories that aren't about a girl pretending to be lesbian to play on the all-male baseball team-which is a problem in and of itself-are now being reserved for me, but I'm still...pretty displeased.

This is one of the points when I am very, very pleased that when I went to my teen writer's camp, I met one of our state senators. She is very nice, writes really well, is one of my Facebook friends, and is the state's only openly gay senator. and she's in the process of trying to pass a bill to make it illegal to discriminate against someone for their sexual orientation. My state is one of the most conservative in the country, but there's a few things that give me hope. One is knowing that the single advocate for LGBT issues in this state is a great person.

I'm sorry, this has gotten into a bit of a rant.

Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralee
Peer Ambassador
Member # 43628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coralee         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear about the situation at your library, and hope that you will talk to the librarians about it.

At my town library, I once found a book that was extremely, over the top offensive to certain religions, and the librarian I talked to was happy to discuss the situation with me. It's their job to serve you and the rest of the community, so don't be shy to bring your concerns to them.

Posts: 143 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawani3792
Activist
Member # 48854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawani3792     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked one of my friends at the Info Desk about the Withdraw Weeded books and was told that it means the books were removed from the shelves and the library will be getting rid of them, for whatever reason-most commonly, it's because it was torn up, doodled in or whatnot...while it is possible that those books could have been drawn in (I know teenagers at my school that would have had no problem checking out those books just so they could ink in rude drawings) it's really unlikely that all of those books are torn up to the point of requiring withdrawal at the same time, so I'm assuming someone with power got them censored.
Posts: 183 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.