Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » how to deal with dating/beauty privilege

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how to deal with dating/beauty privilege
Magpie7
Neophyte
Member # 50962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magpie7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My roommate has a lot of trouble getting dates. What makes it even worse is that it's pretty easy for me to find a guy to go out with. I chalk that up to my being more stereotypically good-looking than she is, because we have almost the exact same personality traits and attitudes. We both find this really upsetting. She's not mad at me for getting all of the dates, she just wishes that she could get some too. And I wish the same thing! She's an amazing person. I sometimes feel guilty when I bring someone home and she's there to see it, because it's can be a painful reminder that she couldn't get a date that night.

I was reading about male privilege today, and I realized that I might have some kind of dating privilege, or maybe beauty privilege. The entire concept really upsets me, just because of the unfairness. And also, I don't really know what to do about it, or if there's even anything I can do.

My roommate and I have talked about how crappy it is that looks matter so much, but I feel kind of guilty because I don't have the short end of the stick there. I hate the way things are, even though they work to my advantage.

I guess my question is, is there something constructive I can do with my dating privilege? Also, is there something specific that I might be able to do to make my roommate feel better? We vent sometimes about the crappy status quo (which makes us both feel better), we've discussed whether we need to work out a system of some sort for when I bring guys home (she's fine with the unstructured thing we're doing now), and I've helped her with her online dating profiles and gone with her to singles mixers. Can I help in another way that I haven't thought of?

Posts: 6 | From: varies | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is a really interesting thing to bring up, and am always impressed with people stepping up to examine their privilege.

I don't know that I'd call this "dating" privilege. What you may want to do to find something more apt (I think) is look at what does give you this privilege: is it about your color or ethnicity? Your size? Being able-bodied?

For sure, lookism blows chunks, no matter what side of it we're on, and even when we're seemingly getting benefits from it, which often turn out to be short ends of the stick, too. If someone is choosing to date you just because of how you look, after all, or because you meet their beauty ideal, that's a pretty raw deal for you, too, don't you think? Might be worth recognizing that often beauty ideals are very much linked to age, so someone benefitting from them won't tend to benefit from them forever. At some point, you're likely not to meet those ideals, even just by virtue of not being young anymore.

In terms of how you can support your roomie, you know, it really sounds like you're already doing that very well and with a lot of care.

I would just maybe make sure you're not overcompensating for feeling guilty here, do you know what I mean? Putting a ton of effort into helping her get dates could in some ways be more about what you need than what she does.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.