Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Anti-abortion movement solicits murders

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anti-abortion movement solicits murders
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel Maddow covers this pattern and new developments excellently in this video here, which I'd implore you to watch: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/vp/39770369#39770369

There's a lot to talk about with this, historically and currently, about this specifically and about all the anti-abortion violence that has occurred in the United States over the last few decades, but I'll let any of you lead after you watch.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cnon
Neophyte
Member # 34034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cnon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
Rachel Maddow covers this pattern and new developments excellently in this video here, which I'd implore you to watch: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/vp/39770369#39770369

There's a lot to talk about with this, historically and currently, about this specifically and about all the anti-abortion violence that has occurred in the United States over the last few decades, but I'll let any of you lead after you watch.

That's just sick and wrong! [Eek!]

Cnon

Posts: 35 | From: somewhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightshade
Activist
Member # 45255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightshade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So obviously the only way to get these "murders" to stop is by killing more people? And that makes a whole lot of sense how?

But oh I suppose it will go along with that concept of one life for a thousand, or the greater good theory. I personally have never seen an example of any reasoning with an extremist of any group being successful.

Why is this not a more widely talked about issue? Why is the American public not massively aware this is going on right under our noses. Apparently this is a nation at war within it's own borders.

I'm still appalled by the insane violation of privacy that is contained on the wanted posters. How exactly are they circulated? I mean surely they are posted on the stop sign at the end of the street?

But more importantly than that, if something isn't radically done we are going to see fewer and fewer doctors who will provide abortions. Then we will be straight back into the dark ages. Turning what can be a relatively safe procedure into something that is preformed in the back alleys and subways. More lives will be lost is this trend continues to and extreme point.

Posts: 43 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why is this not a more widely talked about issue? Why is the American public not massively aware this is going on right under our noses. Apparently this is a nation at war within it's own borders.
I think these are REALLY important things to say and ask.

The truth is that clinic violence has been documented very well since the 80s. VERY WELL DOCUMENTED. yet at the same time, while it absolutely fits every definition of domestic terrorism, the prevalence of antichoice politics have resulted in it not being presented that way. Of course, this is also about women, still an oppressed population in this country and every other.

As well, we already have seen less and less doctors willing to provide abortion. In other words, this terrorism HAS been very effective. We have had a serious shortage of providers for some time. Plenty of clinics have to fly in providers in order to have them for patients.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
This is terrifying and little better than if abortion were still illegal. Actually I feel lucky that I don't live in US and it is relatively much safer to be a provider here.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yakri
Activist
Member # 43206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yakri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's confounding how some people can compress irony, hypocrisy, and illogicality into a single action or belief.

Senseless barely begins to describe it.

--------------------
Chin up and face the future, wonders beyond your wildest dreams await us!

Posts: 47 | From: Crescent city, CA. | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steph1878
Neophyte
Member # 50020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steph1878     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only difference between these radical anti abortion groups and the Taliban is about 8000 miles.
Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.