Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Discrimination at work: Miranda's sexist law firm partner in the new SATC 2 movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Discrimination at work: Miranda's sexist law firm partner in the new SATC 2 movie
redrover
Neophyte
Member # 47630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for redrover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
has anyone seen the new Sex and the City movie?

well I wanted to open up discussion on one part here; Miranda (one of the main characters) is a lawyer at work and a new senior partner at her firm is acting inappropriate towards he- he shuts her down, ignores her contributions and gives away her case projects to her male colleagues.
The culmination of his treatment of her is when he puts his hand up when she starts to speak (in a talk-to-the-hand, stop-talking-now kind of way).
Initially Miranda plans to stick it out but after yet another meeting in which his hand goes up she does the same to him when he cuts her off and [we assume] gives him a mouthful and quits her job. (at the end of the movie we learn shes working for a smaller family-orientated firm where she's appreciated, awww =)

Being only 20 and having had only 2 jobs (both part time with mainly women workers and a male boss on both occasions-which didn't strike me until now) I don't have much experience in the general workforce but I wanted to know if anyone had ever experienced this and what people thought about it

[ 06-26-2010, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: redrover ]

--------------------
xoxo

Posts: 11 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pantas25
Neophyte
Member # 47634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pantas25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work in retail, in an area that is largely gender neutral. The only part I notice some disparities in is the fact that a few times a day we have to do some very heavy lifting, and I get a lot of jokes from my male coworkers about not being able to lift a piece of furniture alone or something. It is, of course, in jest, and I don't take any offense whatsoever.

One thing you might find interesting:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/pill/sfeature/sf_attitudes.html
There are a few interviews where they discuss how women in the workforce have changed dramatically since the dawn of birth control. I never thought about how big of an impact it had.
Also, I recently read an article about a lawsuit against Swiss (?) pharmaceutical company Novartis. I believe it's considered the largest gender-discrimination suit ever, and it's almost scary to read that a company got away with this for so long. Here's the article: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/15/shattering-glass-ceilings.html
Before this, I think a lot of people had thought we were getting really close to gender equality in the workplace, but it seems we haven't come nearly as far as we thought.

A little off track for a bit there, but interesting nonetheless [Razz]

[ 06-28-2010, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: pantas25 ]

Posts: 14 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Throughout my first job, the boss's (boss'? heh.) husband would frequently stop by and tell everyone what they were doing wrong, including his wife and children (it was a family-run business). He was a kind soul in some ways but very dominant and would act as though his way was right. At the time when I was working there, the rest of the adults were women. He basically used a gruff tone of voice and condescending manner to try and overpower we women employees. Generally, I got along with him the best because I would flat out tell him I was doing my job right but I would do so in a firm but joking manner.

Still... it was one of the main reasons I moved on.

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.