Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Why?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why?
Carley
Neophyte
Member # 42689

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Carley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry if this topic has already been posted before, but it just makes me so angry that people are fighting against same-sex marriage, all because it's "unholy" or "wrong" or whatever word they're using to describe it now...

I fight with my stepdad all of the time because he doesn't "get" why people "want" to have same-sex marriages. He thinks marriage is supposed to be between a man and a woman, and basically says that people who are in same-sex relationships need to suck it up.

Yet he's all for two girls making out.

WTF.

It just makes me so unbelievably mad when people throw hissy fits about same-sex marriage. Seriously, what does it matter? Why do they even care if a man and a man, or even a woman and a woman, are married to each other? Just because a bigot might think that God will rain hellfire and brimstone on all "unholy" couples doesn't mean we all feel that way.

Seriously, why do people care? Why do they all get their collective panties in a bunch and get all hissy about two people of the same sex holding hands or kissing or even (the horror! /sarcasm) having a sexual relationship?

Sorry for my anger at the end there; this just has been burning like bile in my throat for a long time now.

Answers, opinions, anyone?

--------------------
"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh..."

Posts: 2 | From: US | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a whole lot to say, primarily because I've been mad about this for somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty years (to a degree: I personally don't think marriage should be legal for anyone in the sense that I don't think the law should be part of marriage, full-stop). [Frown]

I also really can't speak to the rationale or mindset of homophobic people much, save to say that bias is generally in and of itself irrational, and doesn't hold up well to rational thought, so looking for strongly biased people to think rationally or be consistent in their opinions is often asking a whole lot.

But to be honest, I'd not put a lot of emotional energy into an adult man who's all about watching girls get down, but doesn't see women who partner with women as human beings worthy of equal rights. In other words, this clearly just isn't someone you can likely expect to make any headway with.

We have a handful of topics on this, though, if you want to discuss or dig further:

http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather/2008/07/18/marriage_the_only_right_choice_for_everyone_well_except_for_you_and_you_and_
http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather/2007/07/28/dear_new_york_times
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/001291.html#000004
http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/15/t/000585.html#000001
http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/16/t/000209.html#000000

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carley
Neophyte
Member # 42689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Heather...I know I can't really get anywhere with him (he's been part of the family for thirteen years now and has always been like this). I'll definitely check out those links you gave me - thank you!

--------------------
"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh..."

Posts: 2 | From: US | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.