Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » US trying to increase circumcision rate for male infants?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: US trying to increase circumcision rate for male infants?
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7960798.stm

This worries me, particularly the bit about black and hispanic people having the highest rates of HIV, cervical cancer and herpes, surely this is more to do with lack of access to sexual health care disproportionately affecting racial minorities and poor people and the prevalence of abstinence education than men not being circumcised? I hate how everyone jumps to circumcision as a magical cure for every sexual health problem when there are so many solutions that don't involve cutting off parts of somebody's genitalia without their consent.

[ 08-29-2009, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Jill2000Plus ]

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That study in Uganda that the article mentions rubs me the wrong way. They actually circumcised adult men in order to study whether or not they were more likely to catch HIV with a foreskin. Of course the circumcised men contracted less STIs! Their penises would likely hurt immensely if they even got an erection right after circumcision, let alone tried to have intercourse! They would have engaged in less sex, period. And the guy at the end makes an excellent point - if you don't practice safer sex, you're putting yourself at risk for STIs, foreskin or not.
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was also irked by the doctor's comment about sleeping around, not least because if you have one partner with an STI you are at more risk of contracting it than if you have multiple partners without STIs, I am further angered that instead of blaming the religious organisations that try and make out condoms are ineffective, sinful or dangerous or the ongoing worldwide misogyny and encouragement of machoness that lead to anti condom and pro rape attitudes amongst men or the lack of resources and education that encourage the spread of infection through dirty water and lack of hygiene (alongside myths that you can catch the disease in ways that you can't like through shared utensils or kissing which just discourage affection showing), they think "what's a way we can do something about HIV without attacking the homophobic, erotophobic, misogynistic, theocratic, racist, exploitative culture that has made the disease so widespread and is bad regardless?"

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.