Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Sex Toys. Types? Uses? What?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sex Toys. Types? Uses? What?
East.Coast.Insomniac
Neophyte
Member # 39605

Icon 5 posted      Profile for East.Coast.Insomniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

{{I don't know if this is in the right place, but i guessed, tell me if its in the right place or not, please?}} [Roll Eyes]

I know of a good few, but even the ones i know of, i don't know about.
Vibrators, dildos, cockrings, strap ons, butt plugs..
The list goes on [Eek!]

But I don't know what half those things really do, or even who uses what [Confused]

Dildos and butt plugs i got 100% but I what to know whats out there, how to use it, and if it will hurt me or him.

Can anyone give me a site, how to's, or anything?

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Posts: 8 | From: Virginia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Vibrations and Babeland are two very women- and couple-friendly stores, and excellent resources for learning more about sex toys.

-Vibrators are toys which do just that--vibrate. They come in a bunch of different styles and shapes. Most are designed specifically for clitoral, vulval or vaginal stimulation, but others are designed or used for penile, anal or other kinds stimulation. Like with any sex toy, anyone can use them in whatever way works for them (that's consensual, of course).

-**** rings are rings that are placed around the base of the penis and testicles to prolong erections by restricting blood flow. Some people like the sensation or just the decoration. They're often made out of leather or rubber.

-Strap-ons are another name for a dildo used with a harness. Most harnesses are worn around the hips and can be used by men or women to hold a dildo in place for sexual activities (like intercourse).

I may be missing something (so please, anyone correct me), but the only ways I think a sex toy could hurt anyone are:
1.) if it's extremely shoddily made and maybe has something pointy sticking out of it without you noticing
2.) if it's being used in inappropriate/dangerous ways (an electric non-waterproof vibrator in the bathtub)
3.) one isn't following their own sense of what feels good or is being abused

[ 03-04-2009, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add to when it could hurt you--

If you don't properly clean your toys, you could end up with a bacterial/other type of nasty infection.

You can get STIs through sharing toys improperly. (proper sharing, I believe, involves putting condoms over them and/or seriously disinfecting them).

Now I think that's it.... basically, use common sense, and if it hurts, don't do it (unless your going for mild pain, but definitely make sure that no *injury* is occurring).

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, any toy that is being used anally must have a flared base so it can't get sucked in the rectum and lost.

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot dogs and buns?

While that question is not exactly what you're asking, there's a list of basic safety ideas at the bottom that apply to anything you may be considering using for a sexual purpose.

If you're talking about purchasing in person (rather than online), any decent shop that sells these sorts of things is going to have staff who can help you sort out what might be good choices for you. So if you choose someplace reputable (and preferably woman-friendly), you're likely to be able to get help from staffers who can answer your questions in a professional manner and let you actually see and touch samples of the various products to make sure you get something that works for you.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.