Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » no means no...silence means go?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: no means no...silence means go?
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today in my school paper I read an article about some anti-rape campaigns that have been circulating the campus. The campaigns say things like "no means no, maybe means no, silence means no, drunk means no, etc. etc."
The author of the article, who was a female, critisized the campaign on several levels, mainly saying that it was encouraging more silence on the part of women who are assaulted, and it is requiring men to be mind readers. The first mistake she made was assuming the campaign is directed to men in regards to women. Nowhere on any of the ads does it say that. Further, having gone through leader training at the school, I can tell you that example of both male and females being the initiator were used.
While, on some points, I understood where she came from, I couldn't help but disagree and feel frustrated. She compared it to being "grabbed" by a random walking by on the street (unfortunately it has happened to a large amount of women) saying that women have no problem cussing out the man as he passes, and she does not understand why this doesn't apply to assault or rape cases.
She obviously overlooked many points (in my opinion, the most detrimental to her understanding of the campaign was that the assault would be by strangers. She said women needed to "grow some balls" if they were afraid to decline, not taking into account how different a situation can be between a stranger and a boyfriend, say) I don't need to go on, I'm sure everyone on this site can understand her misunderstanding. I guess this is just my rant, there were other irritating articles this week as well about the Israel/Gaza conflict...sometimes people just amaze me with their ignorance.

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly? I'd get together a few friends and professors and write some complaints to the school newspaper. There is freedom of press, but their staff sounds seriously crappy. Even if it's an editorial, the author should still take the paper's audience into consideration, and try to look at it a little more objectively and consider the argument from multiple angles. I would consider that article to be terribly offensive, in addition to immature and narrow-minded. Not to mention, that gives a bad image to the whole paper, possibly even the school (or at least the editor).

It sounds to me like that was just a rather inexperienced writer, and she may well improve once she takes some more classes and gains a few life experiences (and pauses for some reflection on the subject before launching into writing an article), but regardless, the editor should have caught that and asked for a rewrite. So, if I were you, I'd consider getting together a group of students for a letter writing night. Ranting about it feels good, but it doesn't solve the problem so much, you know?

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am tempted, but I'm not the greatest writer.
Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, find a friend who is! [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67075 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devourer
Activist
Member # 42595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Devourer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could probably send an anonymous response if you're uncomfortable about your writing ability. If your paper has an email or website that would be even easier.

You articulated yourself fine in the rant, but it's not just us that should hear your opinion but the writer...So like orca said, gathering a group of students to write responses sounds like a fine idea.

Posts: 42 | From: the Californian coast! | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.