Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » new boss

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new boss
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I am unsure if this is in the correct area, but here it goes.

I was recently hired for a new job. A friend of mine works there and acted as a reference. Since he said such positive things about me, I got an interview within a day or two and got hired.

Here is my issue. The boss is... very friendly and as much as I hate to say this, I know he hired me so quickly because I am young and female and he finds me attractive. He told my co-worker he thought I was "cute" a while ago. I did not do anything that was unprofessional of course - I just filled out an app and went in for the interview. I was smiling etc etc because that is what you do on an interview! I did not even think about it. I really, really need this job. I do not feel he will sexually harrass me, I also know a female who has been working there for quite some time and he has never harmed her in any wya but say she was attractive, but as I said, I know why he hired me. What to do? Should I just try it out and if anything goes wrong, quit? I do NOT want to just be seen as some bimbo or something.

I also feel sort of guilty. I mean, I know I am qualified for the job (its a supermarket... not too difficult [Smile] ), but I feel as though I didn't well.. earn it?

Help me, please!

[ 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: babybear ]

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anytime someone applies for a job a huge part of the hiring process is the recommendations. The first thing Id encourage you to think about is that since your friend spoke so highly of you, obviously they thought you were more than qualified for the job and after going through the interview you earned it!

Another thing Id like to throw out onto the table is that sexual harassment is a very real offense, and as such you should always keep your eyes open. I can tell from your quote about your coworker that you feel he hasnt necessarily stepped over the line to date but Id encourage you to know that if he gets too close to or surpasses what you feel this line of appropriateness is, you need to tell someone immediately. While he may think youre attractive, remember that it was your recommendation and your interview that got you this job. And dont sell yourself short you have a job and thats a great thing whether you work at a supermarket or somewhere else you are earning money by working yourself and thats something. But as I said, a lot of this is going to be what you feel is inappropriate. Id also encourage you to check out any store guidelines on sexual harassment if theres a handbook where you work (there may or may not be depending on where it is located and how big a business it is).

[ 02-06-2008, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babybear
Activist
Member # 30364

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babybear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Stephanie. You made a lot of sense.

I was sitting in class today at school, and the friend, his name is Sean, whom gave me reference, is quite mad. The manager started me off one dollar more than he started him off when he got hired - which was two years ago. In fact, he started me off one dollar more then everyone.

So, Sean was going on about how a few of my other friends applied for the job, how they needed it as well, and continued to say that the manager "just wants to have sex with me" and thats why I got the job. So I said "Don't be angry with me, it's not my fault, I feel bad enough I didn't earn it" and Sean says to me "Well, you DIDN'T earn it". Hmph.

Posts: 250 | From: somewhere | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not uncommon for people starting a year or two later to begin at a higher salary. I know a lot of places are raising their starting salaries right now. But if you think about it - the cost of living has gone up in the past couple of years. Dont let it get to you. But as far as your friend, I understand hes angry but is that really the way to treat someone you class as a friend? I think you should talk to him about this it's disrespectful to you, and you don't deserve that.

But like I said before you went through the interview and you had the reference. You earned the job and as long as you do the job you were hired to do you are also earning the salary you are making. Lifes not long enough to spend time selling yourself short for your achievements! And as long as your boss isnt treading thin water to the line of inappropriateness Id say keep up the work youre doing.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.