Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Human Pet??!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Human Pet??!!
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bradford/7204543.stm
http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSEIC36625320080123?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews

What do you guys think? Is this really just an alternative life-style? Or is this an abusive relationship?

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thismoment
Activist
Member # 36078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thismoment     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sound quite happy in it.

Can't say I find the idea attractive personally. I'd rather be thought of as a 'person', than a 'pet'. The idea of the lead as something to signify trust is a bit OTT as well - it's not merely a symbol, but a physical restriction!

(I'm surprised this was on the BBC news!)

' I don't go anywhere without Dani. ' Hmm... would you like a partner who you were with 24/7? I can't imagine wanting that with anyone. A bit of personal space is natural, surely?

Posts: 79 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I saw it. And I've seen lots like it around town.

I think it's only abusive if she finds something wrong with it, and she doesn't seem to. After all, lots of BDSM activities could be seriously abusive or border on assault weren't it for consent, so we can't go deciding what is and isn't abusive on a consenting partner's terms.

That said, their relationship seems to be moving awfully fast and have a lot of possessiveness. This paired with her age inclines me to think it's just a phase.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diamonds4lucy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diamonds4lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure why this made the news, either- surely there are more important things in the world.

I'm one of those "live and let live" people when it comes to circumstances like these when both people proclaim happiness at the situation. Could it be abuse? Sure. But so could any relationship that isn't "alternative."

--------------------
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams.

Help Support Scarleteen!

Posts: 446 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frogmite
Neophyte
Member # 30165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frogmite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's just an alternative lifestyle. Both appear to be consenting adults, and some people enjoy being thought of as a 'pet'. To be honest, I wouldn't mind it much myself as long as I knew that my partner really did love and respect me.

The way I see it, things like this often tend to be sort of game between couples and as long as both are playing by the rules there's not a problem.

It seems like making it a news story would only make them feel more like the odd ones out instead of informing people of the discrimination they may or may not face day-to-day. I don't see the big point the article was trying to make.

--------------------
If I ever asked her to Skank, she'd probably think I called her one.

Posts: 34 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems to me that this is kind of a two-different-discussions issue.

In other words, it's one discussion to talk about how healthy 24/7 BDSM relationships -- or 24/7 relationships where any two people must play any given one role -- may or may not be (and even most BDSM practitioners and activists tend to agree that they don't tend to be).

But it's something else to talk about what is and isn't allowable when we're talking about public places, like a bus, and denials of public services.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do want to apologize if I came off sounding like I was against BDSM or somehow discriminating against it. I have nothing against BDSM relationships. I even like to have some BDSM fantasies, none of which I've made real though because I haven't found someone I trust enough to do those things with. What bothers me about this is the idea of being someone's "pet" 24/7 and all that is implied by that. Perhaps because of my past relationships, I'm more inclined to be terrified of that kind of 24/7 relationship. Basically, it's the 24/7 part that bothers me. It doesn't seem healthy at all.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LacieC
Activist
Member # 33142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LacieC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let them do what they want. As long as they aren't asking me to join what's it hurting. Her skin is so light that you would be able to see marks if he was hurting her.
Posts: 108 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.