Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Indecent exposure . . Would this apply?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Indecent exposure . . Would this apply?
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who's boyfriend is constantly wanting to "ride around" late at night so they can find a secluded area to have sex in his vehicle. They can't seem to find a way to have time alone at his place or hers.

I have talked to her about this, and she shows concern but does as he wishes because she wants the special time alone with him. I am worried that they will get caught. What I'm asking is . . What are the consequences in the state of West Virginia if a couple is found having sex in a vehicle in the woods or on the side of a deserted back road?

Would an incident like this be classified as indecent exposure? Would they be fined? Warned? Sent to jail? What are the consequences? Any information would be helpful. I've read sites but I haven't found anything that has made sense. I think they could be more responsible about where they spend their personal time. I know it isn't my business, but I don't want to visit my best friend in jail or have her be humiliated by reading her name in the paper with an article about the incident on the first page.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I'd be more worried about her personal safety than about the law.

For certain, sex in public places really isn't lawful anywhere in the states, and a car parked in a public place counts. So, there is a legal risk.

But I'd say a bigger concern is them being seen by somebody creepy or predatory. People make some pretty weird assumptions about sexually active young people, especially young women, and lots of adults have very strong feelings about it. Suffice it to say, not all of those adults are well-adjusted people. And being out alone in a totally isolated area period isn't so smart, let alone having sex there.

(So nice to see you around again, Lea!)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. I didn't even think about that part. It gives me the creeps, honestly. I've spoken with her about this situation several times, but I can only be concerned. I can't make her choices. Although sometimes, for her sake, I wish I could.

And it's nice to be back around!

--------------------
Has sealed your fate.
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sure, you can only let her know you're concerned. You could also perhaps ask her -- as sensitively as possible -- why it is her boyfriend isn't concerned: that is something she might want to be thinking about. If he's not concerned, or is just blowing off concerns, he may simply be putting his desire for sex ahead of her (and his) safety, and that's pretty lousy and not at all "special."

But yep: other than that, it's her call, and the best you can do is just to be her friend, watch out for her in the ways that you can, and let her make her own calls knowing that if she makes a poor choice with a bad consequence, you do know you can be there for her to support her.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

I have asked her why he doesnt seem to be concerned. He thinks my concern is me being paranoid, and as long as he feels safe about it, they won't get caught. Thats usually when something happens . . at the moment you least expect it. Thanks for the replies, btw.

--------------------
Has sealed your fate.
Atreyu

daisuke
Neophyte
Member # 36490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisuke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they really want some quality alone time I would suggest they maybe rent a hotel room or something like that for a night. Its much safer (and comfortable) than a car.
Posts: 8 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And a hotel room would be an excellent suggestion for adults. But seeing how hotel managers/desk people can be held accountable for illegal sex acts like prostitution or underage sex taking place under their watch depending on state, most will be compelled to report.

Besides, if they aren't 18 or have a credit card, they'll be hard-pressed to find one, anyway.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daisuke
Neophyte
Member # 36490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daisuke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm thats true, I just assumed that oOo Lea oOo friends were over 18 coz I saw her birth date was 1985.
Posts: 8 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.