Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Anti-gay church gets comeuppance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anti-gay church gets comeuppance
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The members of Westboro Baptist Church are well known for picketing the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq, shouting at grieving family and vehicles while holding signs saying things like "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags". They believe the soldiers are being killed by God as a punishment for America's "acceptance" of homosexuality.

Well, apparently, a Maryland court had enough with their hatred and the father of a fallen soldier has been awarded an amount that vastly exceeds the church's collective assets.

What do you think of the messages they're sending? Do you believe the ruling is fair? For any religious people.. how do you feel the actions of such sub-groups reflect on the values of your faith in regards to treatment of GLBT people?

[ 11-01-2007, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: *Lauren* ]

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, what is there really to say about groups like the Westboro Baptist Church?

Without really wanting to get into a religious debate here, I'll just sum up my own beliefs by saying that although I do belong to a very traditional church (I'm Eastern Orthodox), I have yet to meet someone in my church who condemns people like this, or who even has the audacity to suggest that they understand what God does and doesn't like. And for pete's sake, since when would Christ have condoned harrassment?? Yikes. Groups like that make me sad- Christ taught love and humility, not hatred.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
One must remember that the "Westboro Baptist Church" is not a church in the conventional meaning of the term. It is the family cult of a disbarred lawyer, Fred Phelps. Indeed two of his sons, two daughters and a sister will have nothing to do with him. One of his daughters has legally changed her name to break any association. If you want to know who Fred Phelps is, go to this link. Warning, some of the info in this link is violent and may be triggering!:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/scotts/bulgarians/phelps-article.txt

--------------------
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

- Galileo

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cnon
Neophyte
Member # 34034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cnon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by *Lauren*:
The members of Westboro Baptist Church are well known for picketing the funerals of soldiers killed in Iraq, shouting at grieving family and vehicles while holding signs saying things like "Thank God for dead soldiers" and "God hates fags". They believe the soldiers are being killed by God as a punishment for America's "acceptance" of homosexuality.

Well, apparently, a Maryland court had enough with their hatred and the father of a fallen soldier has been awarded an amount that vastly exceeds the church's collective assets.

What do you think of the messages they're sending? Do you believe the ruling is fair? For any religious people.. how do you feel the actions of such sub-groups reflect on the values of your faith in regards to treatment of GLBT people?

I think the ruling is fair and they should go away for good. What a bunch of sickos! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Frown] [Frown]

Cnon

Posts: 35 | From: somewhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ikeren
Activist
Member # 26880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ikeren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Fred Phelps. I knew I recognize that name. He was the pastor in the Laramie Project that came into town and had protests run against him.

Frankly, there have been laws prohibiting hate propoganda and hate crime for a long time - even if they fall under the guise of religion, spreading a word of hatred can not be tolerated. As seen with the Mujahadeen and Wahhabists (Ironic, I know)...

[ 11-03-2007, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Ikeren ]

--------------------
19, male, interested in Sadomasochism (BDSM) and some bisexual tendancies.

Posts: 157 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
run_for_fun
Neophyte
Member # 35377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for run_for_fun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im catholic so thats where my perspective comes from.
I think this "church" (Sorry i dont even think they should be called that) is sending a terrible message. These men and women died fighting for a cause they believe in. I also believe that is terribly wrong to go and disturb a funeral, a time of mourning, to try and get the attention of others especially for something as terrible as this. I think there are rules in IL against doing this now, but im not sure.
So i think the ruling was indeed fair, i feel bad for the other families who arent getting compensation for what happened at their loved ones funerals.

Being Catholic I have been taught that God loves all of us and we are created in his image and likeness. Treat people like how you would want to be treated. I just cant understand how these picketers can go to a funeral where people are mourning for a loved on and shouting that God is punishing them, that homosexuals are to blame for their loved ones death, just hateful and hurtful things. There are places and times for picketing and at a funeral is not one of them. This just goes against my faith. I dont know anyone in my church, within my religious community who would do this. I have been taught that God accepts and loves everyone and We should be able to, too.

--------------------
Track: run hard, make left turns

Posts: 31 | From: Illinois | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hype
Neophyte
Member # 35615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hype     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not religious, but these people are definitely not a church. It's a cult. Every time I hear about them, I think it's so sad that people feel the need to be completely hateful to others.

Even if they think they're right, why do they have to alienate others through insults and idiocy?

It's people like this who keep this country and the world from moving forward. I look forward to the day when people can truly accept others.

Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.