Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » Fast Food Commercials

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fast Food Commercials
capn36k
Neophyte
Member # 34666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capn36k     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else been a bit put off by the burger king commercials that have come around in the past year or so? The "I am man, let's go eat meat" campaign has SO many things wrong with it... many of which have been addressed on other websites.

But what I didn't see anyone take notice to yet was that...the commercials say, to me anyway, if you want to eat a hamburger you have to be masculine. At first there were no females in the commercials at all...which told me "Men can eat hamburgers, women can't". In the next commercial there was a woman eating a hamburger, and I was happier that they were incorporating women into the ads, but she had a mustache.

I kept waiting and waiting for the outrage of concerned citizens to appear on the news. I was expecting something within a week of the commercials. But nothing happened. No one made that huge a deal out of it, at least not around my home. I've noticed some blog posts about people who were upset, but besides that there was nothing major.

These commercials are having an affect on people. My ten year old sister refused to order a bacon cheeseburger, her favorite sandwich, because "only boys can eat that".

So is this acceptable in today's society? Society has come a long way from the stereotypical 1950's gender roles, and while we aren't /quite/ there yet, we're pretty darn close. An ad campaign such as the ones Burger King puts out just sets us back half a decade; to the commercials with women waiting at the door with a martini and steak all set for her husband.

And another thing...next time I see something that upsets me like this, how can I go about doing something to bring attention to the matter?

[ 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: capn36k ]

Posts: 6 | From: NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm vegan, and I also opt out of a lot of mass media, so I gotta say, stuff like this isn't a big concern of mine and part of why I choose to opt out of both meat-eating and mass media.

There is a LONG history in the feminist movement, believe it or not, addressing the idea that meat-eating all by itself isn't aligned with feminism (and is part of institutionalized sexism/patriarchy) because feminism is all about anti-oppression, not just per men and women, but in terms of all classes, including animals, and some of that is in response to this exact mentality, which is hardly anything new at all: not even close. "The Sexual Politics of Meat" by Carol Adams is the cornerstone premise on these ideas: given your reaction to those ads, you might find it of interest.

But suffice it to say, as a vegan, I'm never going to be too bummed when someone for any reason doesn't want to eat an animal. [Smile] Not to say I support this mentality that meat-eating is essential to uphold masculinity -- I'm not -- but I'm pretty outraged at the mass marketing of any meat-eating (especially with fast food and such which utilizes factory farming, which is beyond insanely cruel), so I tend not to get any more infuriated at one way of doing that than I do the next.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.