Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » nudists

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: nudists
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post 
IT MAY TRIGGER.

I really don't know if I should be talking about this here but it really did catch my mind and I got a bit a lot disturbed by it (even had dreams about it, not fun at all) so I thought it could maybe a good thing to simply talk about it here.

I just don't want to make too much generalisation though. Maybe the show isn't credible at all. But I'll state it even though.

I saw something not long ago on T.V. about nudists and it was saying that a lot of them (not all of them) were incredibly open about sex. And that sex between parents and kids were not a so rare practice, even with younger kids.

I just got really shocked when I heard that.

Is that really a common practice ? Isn't it incest or something ? If it's common as they said it is, is it even allowed to do that ?

I'm confused and quite shocked by that honestly. I don't know if this show is total hogwash or not. I don't know a lot about the nudist community nor do I have anything against them at all, but this thing quite surprised me.

So anyone knows about it ?

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What show? And what particular community, in what context?

Important questions to ask, since it tends to make a big difference.

My impression, and what I've lways read has been that in most nudist colonies, they're actually a lot LESS sexed up than outside them, primarily due to the fact (this is uaully the theory anyway, and some anecdotal reporting) that a certain curiousity is constantly quelled.

Oddly enough, just last week I was thumbing through one of my retro/antique sex journals -- I collect them -- from 1955 also reporting this: about less sex happening in nudist colonies.

Can't say I've ever read any reports that have said anything about widespread incest problems.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

I am sorry I don't remember the name of the show. I stubbled upon it and watched the last part of it only.

They sort of showed videos of nudist families where they talked about their experiences.

So it does seem indeed it's hogwash and they maybe generalizing things a bit too much then. Not surprising. [Smile] Not the first time I hear that. Most things on TV are to take with a grain of salt.

I just was a lot shocked. I am not so used to see that sort of things.

[ 03-03-2007, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, who knows if it is or if it isn't (though as a statement describing ALL nudist communities, my impression is that is not the case in general). Because *I* said I have read other information which didn't describe this doesn't make it not so, after all. I'm hardly the only reliable source of information in the world.

Again, there is always new information, and to boot, it may have been talking about a specific community, from a specific area.

Best way to verify a story? Write down its main sources and then the sources IT cites, and any extra information, then you do your research amongst varied sources yourself.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Merci ! [Smile]

[ 03-04-2007, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------

plain milyeh
Activist
Member # 32511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plain milyeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't have any experiences specifically in *nudist* colonies, but here's what i have experienced:

i stayed in an intentional community (read: hippy commune) in virginia for a few weeks, and while it was by no means a nudist colony, there tended to be a few more instances on average (as compared to the world at large) where you'd be walking around the property and suddenly met up with somebody not wearing any clothes. there were actually rules around where/when you could and could not be naked on the farm, but essentially it all boiled down to practicality. this was in the southern united states at the end of summer, so if you really think about it, stripping down to your skivvies or less in the garden actually makes a whole lot of sense, but so does covering up to some extent if you're going into the kitchen. my previous commune experiences had all been in northern ontario, so lots of randomish nudity hadn't really been a part of them (more like everyone in many layers of long woolen underthings), and i definitely didn't really start the visit thinking it was going to be an especially naked experience for me, but at some point pretty early on in my visit i really started appreciating the fact that i was more-or-less free to not be wearing stuff a lot of the time. a major aspect of that was definitely what heather mentioned--i saw a lot of naked people around, so it really wasn't a big deal, and it definitely wasn't sexualised, which i would have found really awkward. it's definitely the only time in my life thus far when i've been able to casually expose myself entirely in front of a girl i had a crush on without freaking out about what she'd think about all my various flaws and blemishes. it was like, "meh, everybody looks a little bit the same and a little bit different when they're undressed"...which ties into the fact that it was really nice not to feel like me exposing my chest was any more big a deal than the guy next to me exposing his. nudity wasn't in any way divided along gender lines, it was just who happened to be feeling too hot for clothes at the time.

i think these attitudes probably vary a lot from community to community, depending on a lot of different factors, especially, i think, the community's general attitudes about things like gender norms, sexuality, et cetera...but i just thought i'd share a couple points in favour of the "clothing optional" column. because i really wish there were more spaces where people didn't assume that being naked was the same as intending to have sex.

Posts: 108 | From: caaaaanada. ('cause we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks...) | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monaco
Neophyte
Member # 34549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monaco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love to walk around naked, but I'll never fry bacon in the nude again. (OUCH!)

--------------------
test

Posts: 8 | From: New Orleans | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.